RE: [Authentic_SCA] Possible image thefts

  • Talia
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 29, 2004
      Hmmm...yep, I mentioned this site a few weeks ago (not sure whether it was
      on this list or another though) as using Simplicity pattern photos that
      they'd just 'shopped the backgrounds and such out.

      Talia

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 30, 2004
        Ironically, they deal with the issue of enforcing copyright - their
        own - on their legal information page.

        http://www.designsofthepast.com/legal.html#copyright

        Zenovia
      • Stuart Stegall
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 30, 2004
          This part from the legal page is rather humorous ...

          Commercial Patterns

          Do to copyright laws, we do not use commercial patterns for our
          costumes. All costume patterns are drafted when Designs of the Past
          receives the customer's measurements. We make every effort to use
          authentic historical designs, though some designs may look similar to
          commercial patterns.

          Now IANAL, but I have dealt with photography copyright before, and it's
          not fun business. Part of the problem is that anyone can take a photo
          of you and use it for this type of purpose. It's obvious that they did
          not take these photos, but proving this is not fun and no one wants to
          go to court. Bringing the pattern photos to the attention of those
          respective companies is probably the easiest way to get their gooses
          cooked.

          More importantly though ....

          The site looks to be selfhosted by someone's own computer on Ashland
          Fiber ... Probably one cease and desist letter to the ISP would cause it
          to lost it's connection almost immediately. Anyone who is a copyright
          owner to one of the photos could write this letter, and would just need
          to keep the letter very professional sounding.

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 31, 2004
            Not to mention that their descriptions are inaccurate; what they claim is the Eleanora di Toledo gown is nothing of the sort, and two of the Italian descriptions appear to have been switched. And I'm all but certain they pulled some of their line drawings straight from a pattern envelope without acknowledgement.

            *sigh*

            Sarah Davies
          • ketamina06
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 31, 2004
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, kittencat3@a... wrote:
              --snip-- And I'm all but certain they pulled some of their line
              drawings straight from a pattern envelope without acknowledgement.

              > *sigh*
              >
              > Sarah Davies

              I noticed this as well.

              All I can say is hopefully, they won't last long. On top of what has
              already been recognized, I noticed at least one gown I'm positive
              I've seen on a different costume retailer's site that's been around
              awhile. I'm going through all my old bookmarks to see if I can find
              it (hope it doesn't take all day).

              It irks me to no end that people do this and get away with it. Want
              to make costumes? Fine, but do your own bloody work. Taking
              something from someone else, who's already done their share of work,
              to profit is slimy business. Not to mention using the
              word 'authentic' to raise the price, when it's used so loosely.

              Growl, hiss.

              L. Keterlyn LaFave
            • Kareina Talvi Tytär
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 31, 2004
                One thing which concerns me about the various posts on this topic. Have
                any of the individuals who are complaining contacted the people who created
                the site? If so, what was their response? The SCA does have an official
                "grievance procedure" which is based upon common sense--if you have a
                problem with someone, the first thing you should do is go and talk to them
                about it. Complaints, in a public forum (like a mailing list) or to an
                official body (such as suggested below) are in bad taste if you haven't
                talked to them and failed to get satisfaction first!
                "Stuart Stegall" <stuart@...>

                --Kareina

                At 11:49 PM 10/30/04, "Stuart Stegall" wrote:

                >The site looks to be selfhosted by someone's own computer on Ashland
                >Fiber ... Probably one cease and desist letter to the ISP would cause it
                >to lost it's connection almost immediately. Anyone who is a copyright
                >owner to one of the photos could write this letter, and would just need
                >to keep the letter very professional sounding.

              • Melissa Brown
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 31, 2004
                  With regard to the website in question, has anyone written them directly
                  to ask about these images?

                  Thanks.

                  Just curious,

                  Catalina
                • Lia de Thornegge
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 31, 2004
                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Kareina Talvi Tytär
                    <kareina@i...> wrote:

                    > One thing which concerns me about the various posts on this topic. Have
                    > any of the individuals who are complaining contacted the people who
                    created
                    > the site? If so, what was their response? The SCA does have an
                    official
                    > "grievance procedure" which is based upon common sense--if you have a
                    > problem with someone, the first thing you should do is go and talk
                    to them
                    > about it. Complaints, in a public forum (like a mailing list) or to an
                    > official body (such as suggested below) are in bad taste if you haven't
                    > talked to them and failed to get satisfaction first!
                    > "Stuart Stegall" <stuart@f...>

                    I know that Jen Thompson of Featured Attyre and Margo Anderson of
                    Margo's Patterns have both written the woman in question; who in turn
                    responded with blank denials even in the face of side-by-side
                    comparisons of her tampered images and the originals. So, yes, the
                    proper steps have been taken and this is the continuation of the
                    backlash that this person brought upon herself by these acts.

                    /Lia
                  • Mary Taran
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 31, 2004
                      At 11:26 AM 10/31/2004, you wrote:

                      >With regard to the website in question, has anyone written them directly
                      >to ask about these images?
                      >
                      >Thanks.
                      >
                      >Just curious,
                      >
                      >Catalina

                      Yes, and she denied (twice) in the face of absolute evidence that she had
                      used anyone else's artwork. She has taken down a number of the images,
                      however, subsequent to the start of this subject on the various lists.

                      Mary Taran

                    • Mary Taran
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 31, 2004
                        At 10:57 AM 10/31/2004, you wrote:
                        >One thing which concerns me about the various posts on this topic. Have
                        >any of the individuals who are complaining contacted the people who created
                        >the site? If so, what was their response? The SCA does have an official
                        >"grievance procedure" which is based upon common sense--if you have a
                        >problem with someone, the first thing you should do is go and talk to them
                        >about it. Complaints, in a public forum (like a mailing list) or to an
                        >official body (such as suggested below) are in bad taste if you haven't
                        >talked to them and failed to get satisfaction first!
                        >"Stuart Stegall" <stuart@...>
                        >
                        >--Kareina

                        Yes, the site owner was contacted, protested innocence, when presented with
                        absolute evidence, denied again that she had lifted any images, but has
                        (wisely) taken down a number of the "borrowed" images, but not all of them,
                        in the face of the threat of possible suit.

                        Mary Taran