Re: 12th-14th Century Irish Garb

  • Marc Carlson
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 28, 2004
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Catelli, Ann" <ACatelli@m...>
      wrote:
      > That's all there is; there ain't no more.
      > Nothing has survived.
      > Welcome to the frustration of Irish research.

      May I suggest a place to look?

      It's by no means perfect, but it's better than nothing: Hunt, John,
      Irish Medieval Figure Sculpture, 1200-1600, a study of Irish tombs
      with notes on costume and armor. Dublin: Irish University Press, 1974.

      Granted, these are going to be mostly middle and upper class folks,
      but unless you *want* to dress like a bog slogging peasant... :)

      What appears to be pleating may in fact be simply folds of fabric.
      Lots of good interepretive stuff though, and far less likely to be
      anti-Irish propaganda than the illustrations that show up later in
      England and on the Continent.

      Marc