Re: [Authentic_SCA] Tudor boys clothing

  • Katherine Throckmorton
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 26, 2004
      From: Jenna FK
      To: authentic_sca@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Authentic_SCA] Tudor boys clothing (Was Fabric scrap projects?)
      Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 07:51:33 +0100

      >site with clear guidelines for a young boy's clothing? He will be 6.

      There are several good articles on children's clothing at
      www.costume.dm.net
      I'd also suggest looking at art books and websites with lots of portraits, there are more images of children around than you might think.  Breughal in particular has lots of good pictures of kids, albiet peasant kids.

      The short answer to your question is that by 6 a boy would be dressed in styles similar to what men are wearing, but perhaps a bit more simple, and with some adjustments to accomodate the fact that children's bodies are shaped a bit differently.

      YIS,
      Katherine

      Arguing with a herald is like wrestling with a pig. First you get really dirty and muddy, and then, after a while, you begin to realize the pig is enjoying himself.                                                                                                                     -Sliverwing's 54th Law of SCA Dynamics
    • iamsiegfried
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 31, 2004
        Greetings Noble Lords and Ladies,

        I am looking for primary sources on the lives of children
        600AD-1650AD. Although I have most of the major sources, I am always
        looking for more, particularly appropriste items housed in museums.
        If you have such sources, please do not hesitate to pass them on.

        With gratitude,
        Melissa Kendal
      • Marion McNealy
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2005
          Do you have these two books?

          Flesh and Spirit: private life in early modern Germany, by Steven Ozment
          Has several chapters on this subject, dealing with children from specific families, from birth to young adulthood.

          Magdalena and Balthasar: an intimate portrait of life in 16th century Europe revealed in the letters of a Nuremberg husband and wife, by Steven Ozement.

          While this is mainly about M and B, it also covers their attitudes toward parenting their son and how they dealt with his death at a young age. Its a great book that gives you a detailed glimpse into a period marriage through the subjects own letters.

          -Marion
          www.curiousfrau.com

          iamsiegfried <gusgus@...> wrote:

          Greetings Noble Lords and Ladies,

          I am looking for primary sources on the lives of children
          600AD-1650AD. Although I have most of the major sources, I am always
          looking for more, particularly appropriste items housed in museums.
          If you have such sources, please do not hesitate to pass them on.

          With gratitude,
          Melissa Kendal

        • elara_drake
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 9, 2005
            I know I'm rather late replying, but I'm catching up on the last 4
            weeks of skipped list reading. :) My husband jsut got a book for
            Christmas that will probably interest you. It's "Medieval Children"
            By Nicholas Orme, Yale University Press, ISBN: 0-300-09754-9.

            Regards, WhiteRaven