New Problem Names Article: Double Given Names

  • Sharon L. Krossa
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 26, 2004
      [My apologies to those who will see this more than once...]

      Greetings!

      At long last, the Problem Names Project is expanding to include
      naming practices as well as individual names. Many of the naming
      practices articles will actually be coordinated collections of
      articles with each (sub)article covering the relevant naming practice
      in a different naming culture.

      The first naming practice article, "Concerning Double Given Names
      Before 1600", is such a multi-article collection. The first
      installments:

      Concerning Double Given Names Before 1600: Introduction

      Concerning Double Given Names Before 1600 in Scotland

      are now available at

      <http://www.medievalscotland.org/problem/practices/middle/>.

      Currently I have a volunteer to write additional sections on England
      and on Wales (though due to other commitments the author probably
      won't finish them until early 2005) and I'm looking for volunteers to
      write sections on other naming cultures, such as France, Italy,
      Germany, Spain, etc.

      BTW, the index to the Problem Names Project has moved. It is now at:

      <http://www.medievalscotland.org/problem/>

      However, the old address
      (http://www.medievalscotland.org/problem/names/) will continue to
      work (by forwarding you to the new address).

      Effrick
      --
      Sharon L. Krossa, skrossa-ml@...
    • Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 30, 2004
        When I find a reproduction of a manuscript
        illumination illustrating a non fiction book, the
        caption makes no reference to date or place of the
        original, and the photo credits tell me merely, e.g.,
        Bodleian Miscellany 476, folio 5 (I made that up, but
        it is typical of the dead ends I find), where can I
        get more information?

        Thanks.

        Andrea/Gwervyl

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Cynthia J Ley
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 30, 2004
          Did you check the back of the book? There's often a section for
          Illustration Credits.

          Arlys

          On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 07:16:05 -0700 (PDT) Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
          <huwydd@...> writes:

          > When I find a reproduction of a manuscript
          > illumination illustrating a non fiction book, the
          > caption makes no reference to date or place of the
          > original, and the photo credits tell me merely, e.g.,
          > Bodleian Miscellany 476, folio 5 (I made that up, but
          > it is typical of the dead ends I find), where can I
          > get more information?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Andrea/Gwervyl

          > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

          > --------------------~-->
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/PJ_qlB/TM

          Now includes pop-up blocker!
        • Maura Folsom
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 30, 2004
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
            <huwydd@y...> wrote:
            > When I find a reproduction of a manuscript
            > illumination illustrating a non fiction book, the
            > caption makes no reference to date or place of the
            > original, and the photo credits tell me merely, e.g.,
            > Bodleian Miscellany 476, folio 5 (I made that up, but
            > it is typical of the dead ends I find), where can I
            > get more information?

            This *is* a complete citation, except for page number. For example,
            your fictional cite reads: From the Bodleian Library Manuscript
            collection, type: Miscellany, Manuscript Accession number 476, Folio
            (section of manuscript) #5 (page number would go here - though it
            isn't usually necessary as most folios are only a few pages in length).
            Most of the great libraries have at least textual information about
            their manuscript collections online. many actually have image archives
            of the illuminations, if not the ENTIRE manuscript.

            For example, you fictional example might well be found here, if it was
            real: http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/dept/scwmss/wmss/medieval/browse.htm

            HTH!

            Marg.
          • Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 30, 2004
              --- Maura Folsom <jauncourt@...> wrote:

              > This *is* a complete citation, except for page
              > number.

              Complete, but not terribly helpful if you don't know
              the code! Thanks for cluing me in.

              Andrea/Gweyrvyl

              > Most of the great libraries have at least textual
              > information about
              > their manuscript collections online. many actually
              > have image archives
              > of the illuminations, if not the ENTIRE manuscript.

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • Christopher Bogs
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2004
                #5 (page number would go here - though it isn't usually necessary as most
                folios are only a few pages in length). Most of the great libraries have at
                least textual information about their manuscript collections online. many
                actually have image archives of the illuminations, if not the ENTIRE
                manuscript.<<

                Actually, "Folio" refers not to the section of the manuscript, but is an
                indicator of which sheet of the manuscript the citation is referencing. All
                the example left out was which side of folio #5 the illumination appeared on
                -- this will usually appear as something like "folio five recto"
                (abbreviated f. 5r, and meaning "the front side of the sheet") or "folio
                five verso" (abbreviated f. 5v and meaning "the back side of the sheet").
                In Western manuscripts (the kind you read from left to right, like a book in
                English), the verso is the left side of the book, and the recto the right,
                if that makes any sense.

                A complete reference (like "Bodleian MS. Misc. 476, f. 5 recto") refers to
                one sheet of paper/parchment/papyrus/etc. only., which helps to eliminate
                guesswork!

                Yrs.,
                Christoph
                Christopher Bogs | Christopher Jameson
                Philadelphia, PA | Barony of Bhakail, EK
                Don't tell my parents I'm in the SCA --
                They think I'm running guns for a biker gang.
              • Maura Folsom
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 2, 2004
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Bogs" <cbogs@p...>
                  wrote:
                  > Actually, "Folio" refers not to the section of the manuscript, but is an
                  > indicator of which sheet of the manuscript the citation is referencing.

                  Ah! Thank you! I was under a misapprehension that a folio was roughly
                  correspondent to a signature in a modern book. This is much clearer.

                  Marg.
                • Tiffany Brown / Lady Teffania Tukerton
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 3, 2004
                    There's a wonderful little book that sorted out most of the things I
                    didn't know about medeival manuscripts, and a few things I never knew
                    I wanted to know. I'm pretty sure it is (I didn't write it down, but
                    the title sounds similar, and it's held by my library):

                    Author: Brown, Michelle (Michelle P.)
                    Title: Understanding illuminated manuscripts : a guide to technical
                    terms / Michelle P. Brown.
                    Publisher: London : J. Paul Getty Museum in association with the
                    British Library, 1994.
                    ISBN: 0712303405

                    It's a slim volume, probably quite cheap, and hopefully widely
                    available in Libraries, illustrated in colour, and gives easy to
                    understand dictionary definitions not only of terms like folio, verso,
                    recto and their abreviations, but also explains types of standard
                    manuscript illustrations eg "tree of jesse" with small pictures* of
                    period examples, and also practises like binding. I found knowing
                    some of the iconography of the standard manuscript pictures helpful
                    for my costume interpretations.
                    It doesn't go into depth, but is definately easy to acess for te
                    beginner, and I think gives a good bibliography for more info.

                    I'd happily buy this book next time i see it, because I think it is
                    probably very affordable, and continually useful if you dabble with
                    manuscripts.

                    Teffania
                    *There's only a couple of 12th C illuminations used as examples, but
                    they haven't fallen for the trap of only using late period or
                    extremely well known examples to illustrate everything.

                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Maura Folsom" <jauncourt@v...>
                    wrote:

                    > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Bogs" <cbogs@p...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > Actually, "Folio" refers not to the section of the manuscript, but
                    is an
                    > > indicator of which sheet of the manuscript the citation is
                    referencing.

                    > Ah! Thank you! I was under a misapprehension that a folio was roughly
                    > correspondent to a signature in a modern book. This is much clearer.
                    >
                    > Marg.
                  • wodeford
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 3, 2004
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Tiffany Brown / Lady Teffania
                      Tukerton" <tbro3@s...> wrote:
                      > Author: Brown, Michelle (Michelle P.)
                      > Title: Understanding illuminated manuscripts : a guide to
                      technical
                      > terms / Michelle P. Brown.
                      > Publisher: London : J. Paul Getty Museum in association with the
                      > British Library, 1994.
                      > ISBN: 0712303405

                      I had the opportunity to visit the Getty Museum in LA about a week
                      ago. You can visit their manuscript collection online at
                      http://www.getty.edu/art/collections/collection_types/c2033122.html

                      Jehanne de Wodeford, West