Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Determining Interest in Authenticity (was: Patron Saints)

  • Saerlaith ingen Ruadan
    Message 1 of 94 , Oct 1, 2004
      >I thought part of the point was to identify people *interested* in
      >authenticity, not necessarily experts in something.

      >- Willow (Jack of all trades, master of none) MacPherson

      From what I have gathered on this list about snarking, someone who
      self-identified as an authenticity buff, but who showed lack of authenticity
      in some part of their attire or skill set, would then be open to snarking. I
      realize to those interested in an authenticity guild, the common factor
      would be *interest* in authenticity. Wearing a badge or other sign would
      hopefully be understood properly by other guild-members, but it would seem
      to be a bullseye to certain types of people I have seen discussed here.

      My suggestion about having a widely-known and agreed upon basic "curriculum"
      was to circumvent snarkers. If the whole kingdom knows what this badge is
      about, then only the snarker would look silly, not the poor, shy, besnarked
      newbie who is deeply interested in learning more.

      In any case, it's just my ha'penny's worth, not my sales pitch.

      --Saerlaith (just Irish enough to argue the color of the sky)

    • Lisa
      Message 94 of 94 , Oct 5, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia J Ley <cley@j...>
        wrote:

        > Another mildly amusing story:
        >
        > A friend and I were at an event one day running the A&S pavilion
        when a
        > lady of our acquaintance came up to us and said, "You know, I've
        been
        > watching you two for months, and you know, you're the best
        Christians I
        > know."
        >
        > We were both practicing Wiccans at the time, and gently explained
        this to
        > her.
        >
        > Arlys

        That's too funny! Just goes to show that treating people with
        respect and kindness knows no "religious" boundaries.

        Ysabel