Re: [Authentic_SCA] Concerning Avoiding Snarking

  • Jeff Gedney
    Message 1 of 94 , Oct 1, 2004
      Whooo.... that's tough...

      I'd suggest leaving it alone...
      there are worse things out there...
      Just ignore the jarringness... It will only make people dislike you if you start nitpicking at this stage.
      Trust me, I know. Once people have put in work on a project even a casueal mention that the project is out of scope will be taken as the most mean snarking.

      So what to do?
      As I said Ignore it... it's probably better than no banner at all, and their heart _was_ in the right place (after all they check a book, a lot of these thinkgs are done after checking "dim recollections of something cool seen in a fantasy movie once - maybe one of those neat-o Deathstalker movies")
      The fact that they are willing to do book work should be complimented.

      Just start steering them to better books...

      Start the project the next time a banner is to be made and volunteer to coordinate it (even if you have to make upo a reason).

      That way you can have more control over the NEXT project.
      Catch your flies with honey, the vinegar is not warrented.
      And be patient with them, enthusiasm for checking things in books is to be coddeled and cared for, and gently steered into good scholarly practice.Going to fast will just make them feel stupid for makeing the choices they did make, will as likely as not turn them off from doing anything like it again, or at least they will be turned off from checking with your sources.

      "thet's mah Opinion, now"

      Capt Elias

      If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
      wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them
      to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
      - Antoine de Saint Exupery

      From: GreyGoose <ggoose@...>
      Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 13:28:42 -0400 (EDT)

      >The discussion of snarking has led me to see if the group could help me
      >with a problem.
      >
      >I need some guidance on what to do when faced with the following
      >situation. At an arts working gathering, I arrive and find one of the
      >others is merrily working away on a banner, which they are well over
      >half-way done. They proudly point out the picture in a book that they are
      >using. I cringe - it's a poorly written and worse illustrated book.
      >Their idea has merit, but have been led astray by their choice of
      >reference material.
      >
      >What can I say? I have been biting my tongue, and offering up my library
      >for any additional banners, and volunteer to help with future research.
      >But all of the effort is going into a display item which will be jarringly
      >out of place to anyone more familiar with the culture that is being
      >represented! I don't feel that I can just but in and tell them where they
      >went wrong, and my offers appear to have fallen on deaf ears. ARRRRGGHHH!
      >
      >So I put to you, what else can I do? Thank you for whatever ideas you may
      >have.
      >
      >Janina Krakowska
      >(the drive to increased authenticity has been a real show stopper for me -
      >all of my brilliant ideas have bit the dust when I research and discover
      >that it was never done that way. Sigh)

    • Lisa
      Message 94 of 94 , Oct 5, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia J Ley <cley@j...>
        wrote:

        > Another mildly amusing story:
        >
        > A friend and I were at an event one day running the A&S pavilion
        when a
        > lady of our acquaintance came up to us and said, "You know, I've
        been
        > watching you two for months, and you know, you're the best
        Christians I
        > know."
        >
        > We were both practicing Wiccans at the time, and gently explained
        this to
        > her.
        >
        > Arlys

        That's too funny! Just goes to show that treating people with
        respect and kindness knows no "religious" boundaries.

        Ysabel