RE:belts

  • Melissa A Barton (S)
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 1, 2004
      [[I am MoAS of my local shire and looking to do a workshop in the near
      future
      where we make belts, but I'd like them to be more authentic than the 2
      inch,
      with a loop end, etc. So...tell me what kind of belts are appropriate and
      help me out by listing the time frame and country so I can make a list.
      Lady fiona of the harp]]

      Authentic for Mongol is basically like a modern belt, with a (usually
      ornate) buckle, the short tail on the left side (maybe about 6-10 inches),
      and several metal plaques, sometimes with hooks or loops to attach
      objects, spaced around the belt. I doubt this will be useful for you, but
      if you want paintings/pictures of extant fittings, I can dig some up.

      -Qara Qulan

    • Rita

        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 29, 2005
          Snipped from Message 30824
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" <aheilvei@u...>
          wrote:
          > Take a piece of wool. Felt it. Cut your belt out. Attach a buckle to it,
          > add holes for the buckle to hold.

          Despina gave a great answer about how to make a wool belt way back in March 2003.
          Exactly what I needed to know, except...

          Does anyone know whether a wool belt would be more likely to "match" or be a part of a
          particular outfit? Might a buckle be used with multiple wool/fabric belts?

          I have no evidence about this! Actually, my web searches have not been easy because wool
          comes up too readily in medieval garment searches. :) I'm wondering about this idea
          because:
          1) a thin strip of wool seems "cheap" compared to a leather belt, especially if you've just
          made a garment from said wool
          2) I've seen images where the outfit is clearly belted, but the belt isn't obviously visible
          3) based upon my limited leatherworking (in 7th grade shop class!), sewing a buckle to
          leather seems more work than attaching/re-attaching fabric to a buckle

          I'm particularly interested in 13th C. Spain, but I have ties to 13th C. England, and I am
          also just personally curious about who wore whatever belt whenever. :)

          Look at http://www.jessamynscloset.com/13thcbasic.html between the sections on The
          Saya and The Pellote for my ready-to-hand example of thought #2. From Cantiga 9, the
          lady in the blue dress is obviously belted, but only a tiny bit of... something... is visible to
          me.

          Then again, the image right next to that one from Liber Feudorum Ceritaniae, folio 71
          show people wearing *very* thin belts. Perhaps the belts are just so slim that they hide
          under the blousing of the tunic. The guy in orange with red-stripes does have a faintly
          visible belt, very thin, that looks to be the same orange as his tunic. Lack of paint colors,
          or suggestive of a matching belt?

          As always, deeply appreciative of what anyone can share!

          --Joya
        • Sabine
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 30, 2005
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Joya wrote:
            > Look at http://www.jessamynscloset.com/13thcbasic.html between the
            sections on The
            > Saya and The Pellote for my ready-to-hand example of thought #2. From
            Cantiga 9, the
            > lady in the blue dress is obviously belted, but only a tiny bit of...
            something... is visible to
            > me.

            Just as a small note... I could be wrong on this, but I'm thinking the
            person in the blue garment is more likely to be a man than a woman. I'm
            basing that on two things: the coif over otherwise unadorned/undressed
            hair, and more importantly the wind instrument being played. In my
            general experience, you very seldom see *medieval* women playing
            mouth-blown wind instruments unless they're actually angels, marginal
            grotesques, or other allegorical figures -- you do get Renaissance
            women flute and recorder players later on, but AFAIK, almost no
            realistically depicted medieval female shawm, pipe, or flute players.

            I should note that if people have lots of wind instrument
            images/quotations demonstrating the contrary, I'd love to see them!
            Also, garb is definitely not my specialty, so take my opinion with a
            couple of grains of salt as far as that goes...

            -Sabine de Kerbriant

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • lilinah@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 31, 2005
              Sabine wrote:
              >Joya wrote:
              > > Look at http://www.jessamynscloset.com/13thcbasic.html between
              >the sections on The
              > > Saya and The Pellote for my ready-to-hand example of thought #2.
              >From Cantiga 9, the
              > > lady in the blue dress is obviously belted, but only a tiny bit
              >of... something... is visible to
              > > me.
              >
              >Just as a small note... I could be wrong on this, but I'm thinking the
              >person in the blue garment is more likely to be a man than a woman. I'm
              >basing that on two things: the coif over otherwise unadorned/undressed
              >hair, and more importantly the wind instrument being played. In my
              >general experience, you very seldom see *medieval* women playing
              >mouth-blown wind instruments unless they're actually angels, marginal
              >grotesques, or other allegorical figures -- you do get Renaissance
              >women flute and recorder players later on, but AFAIK, almost no
              >realistically depicted medieval female shawm, pipe, or flute players.

              I agree with Sabine. Both musicians look like youthful males to me.
              In Spain in this period men also wore "sideless surcoats" - called
              "pellotes".

              In the next picture, there's a woman in between two males.

              And in the next row of three pictures, the first (the "fiddler") is
              male and the 2nd and 3rd are female.
              --
              Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
              the persona formerly known as Anahita
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 1, 2005
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, lilinah@e... wrote:
                > Sabine wrote:
                > >Joya wrote:
                > > > ...the lady in the blue dress is obviously belted, ...
                > >
                > >Just as a small note... I could be wrong on this, but I'm thinking the
                > >person in the blue garment is more likely to be a man than a woman....
                >
                > I agree with Sabine. Both musicians look like youthful males to me. ...

                Yeah--you guys are right. That's what I get for trying to very quickly find an image to
                match something I've seen. <sigh> :)

                But what about those skinny belts? Wool? Leather? Was suede ever used? Because the tails
                hanging down seem to sway/flop a little, though, as always, that could be something
                artistic.

                And what about wool belts in general? Are they more likely to be part of an outfit than a
                generic accessory?

                I know lots of extant belt buckles have been unearthed, but what about belts? Anyone ever
                heard of a wool belt being recovered?

                --Joya
              • lucia_sforza
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 1, 2005
                  In the Museum of London's _Dress Accessories_, wool garters are found.
                  If garters, why not belts?

                  Lucia Sforza

                  I know lots of extant belt buckles have been unearthed, but what
                  about belts? Anyone ever
                  > heard of a wool belt being recovered?
                  >
                  > --Joya
                • Marc Carlson
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 1, 2005
                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "lucia_sforza" <dawnv@g...> wrote:
                    > In the Museum of London's _Dress Accessories_, wool garters are
                    > found. If garters, why not belts?

                    Meaning no disrespect, but there's a fallacy there. Just because
                    something is possible doesn't mean it happened that way. The only way
                    to prove that they did do it is to find some (and isn't there a woven
                    belt IN Dress Accessories?).

                    Now if you want to do woven belts because you know there are woven
                    garters, that's hunky dory, but it's speculation.

                    Marc/Diarmaid
                  • lucia_sforza
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 1, 2005
                      MODERATOR NOTE:
                      PLEASE DON'T TOP-POST, RATHER, SNIP AND INCLUDE ONLY THE RELEVANT PORTIONS OF A POST YOU WISH TO QUOTE.

                      If we are limited to only extant finds, the SCA would be pretty naked
                      and boring- not to mention no one would have an entire set of clothing!

                      This would also remove ALL paintings and illuminations as reference
                      sources, because we cannot validate actual garment from artistic
                      license. This would also invalidate written techniques, as we cannot
                      confirm the writer actually did/witnessed the technique.

                      I wholeheartly agree of using archeological means whenever possible,
                      but limited interpretation is essential since we cannot excavate an
                      entire culture.

                      Lucia
                    • Marc Carlson
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 1, 2005
                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "lucia_sforza" <dawnv@g...> wrote:
                        > If we are limited to only extant finds, the SCA would be pretty
                        > naked and boring- not to mention no one would have an entire set of
                        > clothing!

                        Since I didn't suggest we limit it only to archaeology this is a not
                        really something I can speak to.

                        > This would also remove ALL paintings and illuminations as reference
                        > sources, because we cannot validate actual garment from artistic
                        > license. This would also invalidate written techniques, as we
                        > cannot confirm the writer actually did/witnessed the technique.

                        Again, nothing I can speak to but you do seem to be making the best
                        the enemy of the good, which, while not a traditional logical fallacy,
                        ought to be (in my opinion).

                        > I wholeheartly agree of using archeological means whenever
                        > possible, but limited interpretation is essential since we cannot
                        > excavate an entire culture.

                        I doubt you've ever heard me suggest that archaeology is the only
                        available source material, I certainly have no problems with using
                        other sources of information.

                        However, the statement "well they had this similar thing, why couldn't
                        they have had that" is not basing doing something on some other
                        source, it's basing doing something on speculation.

                        For example, chairs. I have heard the argument given "that well we
                        know they knew how to make chairs with a back, so I'm going to use a
                        chair with a back", when the fact is that chairs with backs were not
                        common until relatively recently. This is because chairs had an
                        ideotechnic function that trumped simply being able to make them. The
                        person with the chair was the socially superior/suthoritative person
                        in the room/household/college/meeting/whathave you. That's why
                        committees today have "Chairmen".

                        The fact that they *could* do it doesn't alter the fact that they
                        *didn't* do it.

                        Marc/Diarmaid
                      • sismith42
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 2, 2005
                          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Carlson" <marccarlson20@h
                          ...> wrote:
                          > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "lucia_sforza" <dawnv@g...>
                          wrote:
                          > > If we are limited to only extant finds, the SCA would be pretty
                          > > naked and boring- not to mention no one would have an entire set
                          of
                          > > clothing!
                          >
                          > Since I didn't suggest we limit it only to archaeology this is a not
                          > really something I can speak to.

                          Heck, if we *did* decide to limit ourselves to archaology to answer
                          the question of "did they weave belts or not?", well:

                          http://www.guntram.co.za/tabletweaving/docs/belt2003/belt2003.
                          htm#AppendixB

                          http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/articles/belts/belts.html

                          (both found on page one a Google search for medieval woven belt...)

                          Stephanie
                        • Marc Carlson
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 2, 2005
                            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "sismith42" <sismith42@y...> wrote:
                            > ...Heck, if we *did* decide to limit ourselves to archaology to
                            > answer the question of "did they weave belts or not?", well:...

                            Shhh! I'm trying to make a point :)

                            BTW, am I hallucinating about there being one in Dress Accesories? I
                            know I've seen a picture of one that's a plan simple tablet woven band
                            that looks a lot like the nylon webbing belts I wore in the Army.

                            Marc/Diarmaid
                          • Amy Heilveil
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 2, 2005

                              > BTW, am I hallucinating about there being one in Dress Accesories? I
                              > know I've seen a picture of one that's a plan simple tablet woven band
                              > that looks a lot like the nylon webbing belts I wore in the Army.

                              If you're hallucinating, so am I because I know exactly what you're talking
                              about.... now, after work, I'll have to pull the book off of the shelf
                              before I head to an event for the weekend.
                              Smiles,
                              Despina de la darned people plant images in your head when you need to pack

                            • Cynthia J Ley
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 2, 2005
                                > BTW, am I hallucinating about there being one in Dress Accesories?
                                > know I've seen a picture of one that's a plan simple tablet woven
                                > band
                                > that looks a lot like the nylon webbing belts I wore in the Army.
                                >
                                > Marc/Diarmaid

                                Pg 35: "Girdles and various other types of belt were from leather or were
                                woven (usually by manipulating a pack of tablets) from threads of silk,
                                linen or worsted." There are some photos of the 'webbing' style you
                                refer to on pg. 48. These are tablet-woven.

                                Arlys
                              • Marc Carlson
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 2, 2005
                                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia J Ley <cley@j...> wrote:
                                  > Pg 35: "Girdles and various other types of belt were from leather or
                                  > were woven (usually by manipulating a pack of tablets) from threads
                                  > of silk, linen or worsted." There are some photos of the 'webbing'
                                  > style you refer to on pg. 48. These are tablet-woven.

                                  Thank you! (I hate it when I hallucinate sources)

                                  Marc/Diarmaid
                                  (I'm currently trying to track down a Victorian drawing of a shoe that
                                  I *know* is in this stupid book, but it doesn't want to give it up...)
                                • Tiffany Brown
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 2, 2005
                                    Just a quick note - it's after my bedtime.

                                    Tabletweaving makes very versatile and tough belts in a technique that
                                    is easy to add elaboration (during production or after) too. I
                                    suspect this is what makes them very popular. I think I can find half
                                    a dozen extant examples in my tiny reference library. I find even a
                                    simple tabletwoven belt far suprerior to any cloth belt, especially
                                    for stiffness and grip to the garment underneath. Generally silk is
                                    used (ordinary grade wool is not very suitable) some linen, a handful
                                    wool - most reflect rich folk easily able to afford silk.

                                    I've seen a few 12th french scupltures (I don't look much at other
                                    periods) and a few manuscript drawings that are a bit more vaugue,
                                    that look to be plaited rope belts.

                                    The priest's ceremonial belt - cingulum was often preserved, so we
                                    have lots of extant ones, often very heavily decorated. A number are
                                    made from cloth, heavily embroidered. I think all the ones I've seen
                                    were silk fabric (when you can afford it get the best) although linen
                                    could be possible if the embroidery completely covered it. I don't
                                    know if this sort of useage transfers to non-clerical useage. Several
                                    of the cingula are probably quite stiff from the ammount of emboidery
                                    (often goldwork).

                                    Teffania

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 7, 2005
                                      ...> wrote:
                                      > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "sismith42" <sismith42@y...>
                                      wrote:
                                      > > ...Heck, if we *did* decide to limit ourselves to archaology to
                                      > > answer the question of "did they weave belts or not?", well:...
                                      >
                                      > Shhh! I'm trying to make a point :)

                                      Ah, so my snide little "see page one of a Google search for the
                                      obvious topic" comment wasn't pointed enough? ;-)

                                      Stephanie/Estevana
                                    • Marc Carlson
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 7, 2005
                                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "sismith42" <sismith42@y...> wrote:
                                        >> Shhh! I'm trying to make a point :)
                                        > Ah, so my snide little "see page one of a Google search for the
                                        > obvious topic" comment wasn't pointed enough? ;-)

                                        No, it was fine, for this specific topic (i.e. "look here to support
                                        your position"). The point I was aiming for was a little broader
                                        ("just because something is logically valid doesn't make it true").

                                        Ah well, maybe next time :)

                                        Marc/Diarmaid
                                      • michaelstuartgraham
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 18, 2005
                                          -Hi, All. If I might weigh in on this subject, as one who wears
                                          garters regularly with my 16th/17th Cent kit, garters are intended to
                                          be tied above the calf and below the knee to hold up the hose. Wool
                                          being slightly springy, it allows the garters to hold up the hose
                                          without being too constrictive, sort of a period version of elastic.
                                          To use the same analogy, we do have modern belts and trousers
                                          (sansabelts) that do the same thing, but on the whole, belts for the
                                          waist are generally made to be rigid rather than elastic, so as to
                                          hold up the stuff they were meant to carry (purse, knife, etc.)and so
                                          are made of leather or some other material that has some support. Mike T.