Re: [Authentic_SCA] Determining Interest in Authenticity (OT)

  • Willow Polson
    Message 1 of 94 , Oct 1, 2004
      At 09:48 AM 10/1/2004 -0700, you wrote:
      >Even if it is good post, if it begins with 'Ummm...'
      >it usually rings instant alarm bells with me
      >(condescension ahead..danger danger!) That is, of
      >course, just my opinion.

      I've found over the years, much to my embarassment and dismay, that it's a
      bad idea to type as one speaks. I say "ummm" frequently when starting a
      comment, especially when I want to gently couch something like "wait a sec,
      that sounds off to me", as in "um..... I don't think I've ever heard that
      before, where did you get the info for that?" However, in email, it's often
      seen exactly as you give above, as some kind of snotty "Um, like, I don't
      THINK so. Duh." But it's usually meant more as a thoughtful pause
      (hmm....) or question or confusion (uhhh....). But unfortunately, typed
      words are viewed through the recipient's filters, which can differ wildly
      from the sender's intent. So, over the years I've also learned to give
      people the benefit of the doubt, and not assume an "umm" is a condescending
      noise. 8-)

      I love that advice (was it on this list?) that the best way to respond to
      rudeness is to be even more polite. If everyone did that, wouldn't email
      lists be more wonderful places? I would have avoided a lot of problems in
      the past if I'd assumed people were NOT being intentionally rude rather
      than the other way 'round.

      Back to your regularly scheduled discussions... 8-)

      - Willow (I'll get this email thing right eventually) MacPherson

      Rev. Willow Polson www.willowsplace.com
      Give my Pagan Paradise Live365 Radio Station a listen!
      http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=willowpolson
    • Lisa
      Message 94 of 94 , Oct 5, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia J Ley <cley@j...>
        wrote:

        > Another mildly amusing story:
        >
        > A friend and I were at an event one day running the A&S pavilion
        when a
        > lady of our acquaintance came up to us and said, "You know, I've
        been
        > watching you two for months, and you know, you're the best
        Christians I
        > know."
        >
        > We were both practicing Wiccans at the time, and gently explained
        this to
        > her.
        >
        > Arlys

        That's too funny! Just goes to show that treating people with
        respect and kindness knows no "religious" boundaries.

        Ysabel