Re: [Authentic_SCA] Determining Interest in Authenticity (was: Patron Saints)

  • Debbie Dresner
    Message 1 of 94 , Oct 1, 2004
      Even if it is good post, if it begins with 'Ummm...'
      it usually rings instant alarm bells with me
      (condescension ahead..danger danger!) That is, of
      course, just my opinion.

      The recent posts have shown that there are many
      flavors of authenticity types who have different views
      on how to communicate, seek each other out, etc. A one
      size fits all approach will obviously never happen -
      so what??

      There are valid points on both sides of this debate,
      (and it's important to hear all of the differing
      views) but if you are a person who doesn't like the
      idea, then it seems easy enough to choose not to
      participate and let the people who do like the idea
      hash out the details.

      Demetria

      PS - I also like St Jude : )

      --- "Sharon L. Krossa"
      <skrossa-ml@...> wrote:

      > At 4:22 PM -0700 9/30/04, Laurie Cavanaugh wrote:
      > >Brangwayna writes:
      > >
      > ><<Ummm...
      > >I have never had trouble identifying people
      > interested in authenticity at an
      > >event. As my husband just said, if you don't look
      > like a generic SCAdian, you
      > >are probably one of us.
      > >We already ID each other at events by what we are
      > wearing. >>
      >
      > You may, but I don't. I can't figure out who is
      > interested in
      > authenticity without talking to them -- sometimes at
      > great length --
      > about history and authenticity and what their
      > interests are in the
      > SCA.

      > >Morgan Athenry
      > >who thinks St. Jude is more appropriate all the
      > time. :-)
      >
      > Oh, absolutely, if it is to be I say name it for
      > Saint Jude -- then
      > it might actually have a slim chance ;-)

      =====

      __________________________________

      Aio, quantitas magna frumentorum est.

      http://vote.yahoo.com
    • Lisa
      Message 94 of 94 , Oct 5, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia J Ley <cley@j...>
        wrote:

        > Another mildly amusing story:
        >
        > A friend and I were at an event one day running the A&S pavilion
        when a
        > lady of our acquaintance came up to us and said, "You know, I've
        been
        > watching you two for months, and you know, you're the best
        Christians I
        > know."
        >
        > We were both practicing Wiccans at the time, and gently explained
        this to
        > her.
        >
        > Arlys

        That's too funny! Just goes to show that treating people with
        respect and kindness knows no "religious" boundaries.

        Ysabel