Telling who's "period" and who isn't

  • Willow Polson
    Message 1 of 94 , Oct 1, 2004
      At 02:24 PM 10/1/2004 +0000, you wrote:
      >I can tell you if someone is dressed accurately (more or less) in
      >certain specific time frames and regions, but I couldn't say for everyone.
      >
      >Also, there are some folks who are dressed in ways that I
      >automatically discount as being inauthentic, when in fact they may
      >have just used different sources than I have.

      Two excellent points as usual, Diarmaid! I'm certainly no expert in
      anything, let alone whether someone in Viking, or German puff & slash, or
      Japanese, etc. is 100% accurate! And we've all heard the "black shoes
      aren't period" or "rough silk isn't period" or "bright pink isn't period"
      stuff floating around, things we DO have documentation for, but the society
      legends persist.

      - Willow MacPherson

      Rev. Willow Polson www.willowsplace.com
      Give my Pagan Paradise Live365 Radio Station a listen!
      http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=willowpolson
    • Lisa
      Message 94 of 94 , Oct 5, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia J Ley <cley@j...>
        wrote:

        > Another mildly amusing story:
        >
        > A friend and I were at an event one day running the A&S pavilion
        when a
        > lady of our acquaintance came up to us and said, "You know, I've
        been
        > watching you two for months, and you know, you're the best
        Christians I
        > know."
        >
        > We were both practicing Wiccans at the time, and gently explained
        this to
        > her.
        >
        > Arlys

        That's too funny! Just goes to show that treating people with
        respect and kindness knows no "religious" boundaries.

        Ysabel