Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Determining Interest in Authenticity (was: Patron Saints)

  • Saerlaith ingen Ruadan
    Message 1 of 94 , Sep 30, 2004
      >Mm, sorry, smacks too much of the Girl Scouts for me.

      >Still don't need a badge unless I collect it at Compostella or
      >Canterbury. ;->

      >Jehanne

      Me neither. Just adding an objective opinion on the rather heavily-discussed
      topic of the moment. Seems a badge would either signal a snark-free zone, as
      in don't snark me, I've done my homework, or a snark-at-will zone, as in I
      want to learn more or have my skill or item critiqued by passers-by.

      There really isn't any way to ascertain whether or not a badge-wearer knows
      anything about anything, or knows anything beyond authentic shoe button
      making in 1450's eastern Europe (or whatever their particular obsession is).
      Having a girl-scout type requirement would at very least put badge-wearers
      on a basic common ground.

      Saerlaith (patiently awaiting other topics)

    • Lisa
      Message 94 of 94 , Oct 5 6:33 AM
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia J Ley <cley@j...>
        wrote:

        > Another mildly amusing story:
        >
        > A friend and I were at an event one day running the A&S pavilion
        when a
        > lady of our acquaintance came up to us and said, "You know, I've
        been
        > watching you two for months, and you know, you're the best
        Christians I
        > know."
        >
        > We were both practicing Wiccans at the time, and gently explained
        this to
        > her.
        >
        > Arlys

        That's too funny! Just goes to show that treating people with
        respect and kindness knows no "religious" boundaries.

        Ysabel