Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Loud music at events WAS Venting

  • Cannoneer
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 29, 2004
      At 11:52 AM 9/27/2004, you wrote:

      >Please note that I'm not advocating amping guitars, or playing loud
      >music all through the night, or blasting a stereo all afternoon, or
      >any of that nonsense. Obviously it's not appropriate to mike a bardic
      >circle. I'm just saying that given SCA conditions, it seems to me
      >that there are times when amping live musicians produces a more
      >authentic *effect* (not often, I admit! Just occasionally...), so I
      >cringe when I hear the blanket "no amps no way no how" statements.
      >
      > -Sabine

      In general, I'm in the 'no amps, not ever' camp. I will qualify that
      slightly, depending on the venue, however. I MASSIVELY OBJECT to being
      forced to listen to performances during dinner. I was recently at an event
      where it was continuous, not a chance to converse with the people around me
      or to wander the hall and see other old friends. Music at dinner should be
      a background, period muzak if you will. If amps are brought in to make
      sure that someone is heard over the crowd, I will object vigorously to the
      autocrat. The only exception I can see for amps is at an event
      SPECIFICALLY ADVERTISED AS A BALL OR PERFORMANCE EVENT and a large hall or
      crowd makes it neccesary to amp the music to let it be heard. If it is a
      regular event, people will listen or not as the mood takes them. Amping or
      silencing the crowd to turn background music into a performance is wrong.

      Hawkyns

      Roderic Hawkyns
      Master Gunner

      Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl

      Its like I always say, you get more with a kind word and a two-by-four then
      with just a two-by-four - Marcus Cole