Re: What do you think? Garb ?

  • Chris Laning
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2004
      At 4:12 PM -0400 9/28/04, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
      >Yeah, 1000-1100 is about 200 years too early for even the earliest surcoats,
      >which are mostly sleeveless tunics (see the Manesse Codex for examples); ones
      >with side holes even halfway to the hips are even later. A wool overtunic
      >would probably be closer, possibly cut as short as mid-calf. The
      >linen chemise
      >and underdress would be fine, and you could wear the green linen as the outer
      >gown if it's too hot for three layers.

      My persona (late 13th century) is in the "early surcoat period", and
      the very earliest ones tend to look like a grain sack -- pretty much
      rectangular, with no sleeves, armholes only a little larger than
      normal, and relatively little shaping. There's a nice photo of a
      good-looking young woman wearing one in the _Medieval Tailor's
      Assistant_ and it _still_ looks like a grain sack (but a nice one).

      Unfortunately I became aware of this too late to be able to point it
      out to my mother, who always complained about my lack of clothing
      sense, and used to accuse me of wanting to wear "a potato sack tied
      in the middle."
      O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe
      | Chris Laning <claning@...>
      + Shire of Windy Meads - Davis, California