RE:Patron Saints

  • Katherine Throckmorton
    Message 1 of 94 , Sep 24, 2004
      From: "Marc Carlson"
      Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 03:13:06 -0000
      To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Was Terminology and Patron Saints

      >> Point taken, and there are lots of other wild and wacky saints out
      >> there. What about Katherine of Alexandria, she's fictional too :)...

      > And Catherine's wheels
      >are not inappropriate for anyone from medieval Christian Europe to
      >have as a display somehow (A spiked wheel).

      Actually, this is the one problem with Catherine.....Catherine Wheels are a fairly popular charge, especially with people named Katherine (imagine that!) so it might cause unfortunate confusion.

      Although the basic concept of picking someone who was popular in period and has been decanonized is not without its appeal. My husband suggested Saints Barlaam and Jehosaphat, who were decanonized when it was discovered that their biography was in fact a slightly garbled version of one of the lives of the Buddha.

      -Katherine Throckmorton
      Per saltaire gules and argent, Two Catherine Wheels Gules
      (Fieldless) A hare rampant Azure, attired as a stag Or, sustaining a Catherine Wheel Gules

      Marc/Diarmaid

      This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Arguing with a herald is like wrestling with a pig. First you get really dirty and muddy, and then, after a while, you begin to realize the pig is enjoying himself. -Sliverwing's 54th Law of SCA Dynamics

      Arguing with a herald is like wrestling with a pig. First you get really dirty and muddy, and then, after a while, you begin to realize the pig is enjoying himself. -Sliverwing's 54th Law of SCA Dynamics

    • Lisa
      Message 94 of 94 , Oct 5, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia J Ley <cley@j...>
        wrote:

        > Another mildly amusing story:
        >
        > A friend and I were at an event one day running the A&S pavilion
        when a
        > lady of our acquaintance came up to us and said, "You know, I've
        been
        > watching you two for months, and you know, you're the best
        Christians I
        > know."
        >
        > We were both practicing Wiccans at the time, and gently explained
        this to
        > her.
        >
        > Arlys

        That's too funny! Just goes to show that treating people with
        respect and kindness knows no "religious" boundaries.

        Ysabel