Gem settings

  • ladymorwenna
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2004
      Greetings all,

      I have found myself in possession of some amber cabochons and I'm
      looking for a way to set them on fabric. My usual source for such
      thing is Fire Mountian Gems, but all the settings I could find are for
      pendants or other jewelry items or not in the size I need (12 x 10 mm,
      about the size of my fingernail)

      I did try Cabochons (Arastorm's), but none of those settings were
      quite right either -- I don't want to have to glue the gems into the
      settings.

      Anyone have any thoughts?

      --Morwenna
    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "ladymorwenna"
        <ladymorwenna@y...> wrote:
        > Greetings all,
        >
        > I have found myself in possession of some amber cabochons and I'm
        > looking for a way to set them on fabric.

        I'm not a stitch jock, so I don't know what the technique is called,
        but I know someone who set cabs on her Byzantine tunic. I'll see if I
        can find out more for you.

        Jehanne
      • Laurie Hupman
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 8, 2004
          Hi Morwenna -

          Do you remember meeting Mistress Aldith when we were in Austin? She has
          re-created a German method of setting cabs to fabric with a gold embroidered
          "setting." If you're interested, I can put you in touch.

          Ooh! Found pictures!
          http://history.westkingdom.org/AandS/Embroidery/GemStitching.htm

          Rose
        • uxbridgefox
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 8, 2004
            > I did try Cabochons (Arastorm's), but none of those settings were
            > quite right either -- I don't want to have to glue the gems into
            the
            > settings.
            >
            > Anyone have any thoughts?
            >
            > --Morwenna

            Try this site There are several pages of settings of all sorts. I
            sent the link to the page of round settings. Not sure what shape
            your cabs are.

            http://www.joolsupplies.com/settings/settings4.html

            Good luck
            Eleanor le Brun
          • ladymorwenna
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 8, 2004
              > Do you remember meeting Mistress Aldith when we were in Austin?

              Oh yes. I think we had dinner one night.

              > She has re-created a German method of setting cabs to fabric with a
              > gold embroidered "setting." If you're interested, I can put you in
              > touch.

              I'd love that. Thanks! It looks gorgeous.

              --Morwenna
            • Lady_Lark_Azure
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 8, 2004
                > I'd love that. Thanks! It looks gorgeous.

                I second that. Wow!

                FYI, Alcohol will break down amber, so be careful of glue contents if
                you use any.

                How do I know this? My brother brought me back a jar from Poland,
                filled with amber chunks that has the directions to fill it with 50ml
                of alcohol and use the resultant product topically for aching joints.

                Isabeau
              • Susan Farmer
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 8, 2004

                  > > I'd love that. Thanks! It looks gorgeous.
                  >
                  > I second that. Wow!
                  >
                  > FYI, Alcohol will break down amber, so be careful of glue contents if
                  > you use any.
                  >
                  > How do I know this? My brother brought me back a jar from Poland,
                  > filled with amber chunks that has the directions to fill it with 50ml
                  > of alcohol and use the resultant product topically for aching joints.

                  You have to remember that all amber is is the fossilized resin of some
                  sort of gymnosperm tree -- most folks think of amber as being "pine sap."
                  (If you really want to know, I an go into the botany of "sap" versus
                  "resin.") It's an aromatic hydrocarbon of a class called terpenoids
                  (recognize the root of turpentine?) I'd say that there would be lots
                  of things that would dissolve amber -- including acetone, alcohol,
                  and perhaps the petrolium ethers that are in a great many glues.
                  Definately test -- and don't assume that just because it doesn't
                  dissolve immediately that it won't dissolve!

                  Jerusha, the botanist
                • elara_drake
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 8, 2004
                    > I have found myself in possession of some amber cabochons and I'm
                    > looking for a way to set them on fabric. My usual source for such
                    > thing is Fire Mountian Gems, but all the settings I could find are
                    for
                    > pendants or other jewelry items or not in the size I need (12 x 10
                    mm,
                    > about the size of my fingernail)

                    **Actually, I'm working on the same issue, only with 30x44mm cabs
                    thru Fire Mtn Gems, and you might take a look at their filigree
                    settings. Granted they're made to be used as pendants, but if you
                    simply snip or break off the pendant loop at the top, and smooth
                    that spot, you can sew right through the filigree w/ a fine needle.
                    That's what I'll eventually be doing for the trim on the Lady and
                    Unicorn gowns. Just as soon as I save enough for all those cabs and
                    settings.... :)Let us know how it works for you?

                    WhiteRaven