Re: [Authentic_SCA] SCA Sumptuary Laws and Customs vs. Authenticity

  • Heather Murray
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 3, 2004
      cathal@... wrote:

      > I honestly think you're safe with the sash.
      > Anybody bugs you you just refer them to me.
      >
      > Capt Elias
      >

      > Or if you're down Meridies-way just refer them over to me.
      > I enjoy the application of the occasional come-uppance especially
      > if sumptuary laws appear in the argument...
      >
      > Cathal.

      ::Margaret pays obeisance to the visage of Cathal, and lays a small
      ceramic figurine of a Siamese in a bowl before it::

      Now, he's in south central Meridies, so if you happen to be in North
      Meridies without him nearby, you send 'em my way. I'm not as gentle as
      some ladies when it comes to suffering the willingly ignorant, though I
      have some sympathetic understanding of the socially inept. I'll be happy
      to tell them my own story and viewpoint and then endeavor to show them
      the period way to apologize.

      Look, the fact of the matter is, the rules say what they say. If someone
      wants to get offended by something outside the realm of those rules,
      they will do so whether or not the facts of history back you up. In the
      end the best path for your authenticity may be to work to change your
      Kingdom's/Principality's/local area's viewpoint to understand that this
      is period and doesn't violate the sumptuary laws - that it's just a
      custom that arose from what could be some poor drunk fool's
      interpretation of those laws to a newbie who stayed around and still
      spouts it as Gospel. The SCA is young enough that some customs are still
      ugly enough to need their faces changed every once in a while. You might
      butt heads a bit with some folks, outside of those who might balk at
      first, but then move on. With those who *must* argue about it and insist
      on their ways (while not wearing a crown), just part ways knowing that
      you're both right, and likely, you're both wrong as well, on some level
      and in the other's opinion. Eventually, people will either A) accept
      your "new" tradition, or B) decide that you're just a weirdo who insists
      on following the law to the letter and applying your "creativeness" to
      the "anachronism." Well, there's C), but C) can be appealed.

      Grinning wryly,
      Margaret Northwode