Re: frustrated in the thirteenth century :(

  • Marc Carlson
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Stainton"
      <newshoes2@c...> wrote:
      > could anyone point me in the direction of 13th century Northumberland,
      > specifically the tradesmen/craftsmen of the time?
      > im having a dickens of a time finding anything :(
      > also 13th century camp accutriments aside from tables beds and
      > shelters thanks :)

      YOu might take a look at the 75years yahoogroup, which focuses
      specifically on re-enacting in the 1250-1325 range (this of course
      assumes you are looking at the late 13th century, not earlier).
      Generally a nice bunch of folks, and they respond fairly well to
      people who are alb eto demonstrate they are also doing research and
      are willing to share it.

      You might want to spread your research first to 13th century in
      general and northumberland in general. Then you can try to bring them
      together. It's entirely likely that there IS no research that
      anyone's done covering this period and place so far.

      Marc/Diarmaid
    • julian wilson
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004
        Dear Marc -
        so is there a 'yahoo-group' which specifically focuses of the XVth Century - as you describe for the "75years" yahoo-group?
        Julian Wilson,
        in "olde" Jersey

        Marc Carlson <marccarlson20@...> wrote:
        SNIP
        YOu might take a look at the 75years yahoogroup, which focuses
        specifically on re-enacting in the 1250-1325 range (this of course
        assumes you are looking at the late 13th century, not earlier). SNIP

      • Marc Carlson
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@y...> wrote:
          > so is there a 'yahoo-group' which specifically focuses of the XVth
          > Century - as you describe for the "75years" yahoo-group?
          > Julian Wilson, in "olde" Jersey

          Honestly, I have no idea. Let me look.

          OrderOfTheSword
          cosg-living-history (as opposed to cosg-members)
          warsroses
          15thCenturyEurope
          warsoftherosesuk

          And a smattering of more specific groups.

          Marc/Diarmaid
        • julian wilson
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004
            Dear Marc, TYVM for your prompt reply. I shall investigate at once.
            your gratefully, Julian, in "olde" Jersey

            Marc Carlson <marccarlson20@...> wrote:
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@y...> wrote:
            > so is there a 'yahoo-group' which specifically focuses of the XVth
            > Century - as you describe for the "75years" yahoo-group?
            > Julian Wilson, in "olde" Jersey

            Honestly, I have no idea. Let me look.

            OrderOfTheSword
            cosg-living-history (as opposed to cosg-members)
            warsroses
            15thCenturyEurope
            warsoftherosesuk

            And a smattering of more specific groups.

            Marc/Diarmaid

          • Sharon L. Krossa
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004
              At 5:13 PM +0000 9/3/04, Marc Carlson wrote:
              >--- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Stainton"
              ><newshoes2@c...> wrote:
              > > could anyone point me in the direction of 13th century Northumberland,
              > > specifically the tradesmen/craftsmen of the time?
              > > im having a dickens of a time finding anything :(
              > > also 13th century camp accutriments aside from tables beds and
              > > shelters thanks :)
              >You might want to spread your research first to 13th century in
              >general and northumberland in general. Then you can try to bring them
              >together. It's entirely likely that there IS no research that
              >anyone's done covering this period and place so far.

              In a similar vein, you might want to research tradesmen/craftsmen in
              general and 12th-14th century urban history in general, which should
              lead you to 13th century English urban history, which if you're lucky
              will lead you to 13th century Northumberland urban history (including
              tradesmen/craftsmen). But it is very unlikely that you'll find
              anything conveniently labelled "13th century Northumberland urban
              history" or even "13th century Northumberland history" -- you'll need
              to learn what the topics touching on the relevant aspects of 13th
              century Northumberland (that have been researched) are and are
              called. (Alas, historical studies are not often organized or labelled
              in ways that are convenient for re-creators trying to research the
              time and place of their specific persona ;-)

              Affrick
              --
              Sharon L. Krossa, skrossa-ml@...
            • Jennifer Poulin
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 8, 2004
                May I suggest MedCos: Medieval and Renaissance Costuming Community:

                http://slumberland.org/moodle/course/view.php?id=5

                It has an excellent 15th Century section. It's a free forum, and
                very supportive.

                Matilda
              • julian wilson
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 8, 2004
                  Dear Jennifer Poulin,
                  TYVM for the link you posted. I shall take a look this evening.
                  Julian,
                  in "olde" Jersey

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 8, 2004
                    Thank you! Real people in real garb. Don't get me wrong I love
                    looking at portraits for garb ideas. But there is something about
                    seeing garb on actual SCA people that makes the "light bulb of
                    understanding" go on in my mind. :)

                    Crystal