Re: [Authentic_SCA] SCA Sumptuary Laws and Customs vs. Authenticity

  • Willie Walter
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 3, 2004
      --- bronwynmgn@... wrote:
      > While most people may see it that way, in most
      > kingdoms red for a squire's
      > belt is not a matter of law, but only of custom,
      > whereas the white belt for
      > knights is reserved by Society law. There are some
      > areas, parts of Atlantia for
      > examples, where squire's belts are sometimes blue
      > due to the influence of a
      > particular household that uses that.

      For awhile, I thought that apprentices' belts were
      typically blue, thanks to a friend who is apprenticed
      to the matriarch of that same household. (At least,
      I'm guessing it's the same household.) It made sense
      to me at the time: "Her apprentice belt is blue.
      Therefore, most-if-not-all apprentice belts--at least
      in Atlantia--are blue." :) My friend corrected my
      faulty assumption, telling me it's a household custom.

      Peace,
      Grainne ingen Lugdach
      Shire of Roxbury Mill
      Atlantia

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Heather Murray
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 3, 2004
        cathal@... wrote:

        > I honestly think you're safe with the sash.
        > Anybody bugs you you just refer them to me.
        >
        > Capt Elias
        >

        > Or if you're down Meridies-way just refer them over to me.
        > I enjoy the application of the occasional come-uppance especially
        > if sumptuary laws appear in the argument...
        >
        > Cathal.

        ::Margaret pays obeisance to the visage of Cathal, and lays a small
        ceramic figurine of a Siamese in a bowl before it::

        Now, he's in south central Meridies, so if you happen to be in North
        Meridies without him nearby, you send 'em my way. I'm not as gentle as
        some ladies when it comes to suffering the willingly ignorant, though I
        have some sympathetic understanding of the socially inept. I'll be happy
        to tell them my own story and viewpoint and then endeavor to show them
        the period way to apologize.

        Look, the fact of the matter is, the rules say what they say. If someone
        wants to get offended by something outside the realm of those rules,
        they will do so whether or not the facts of history back you up. In the
        end the best path for your authenticity may be to work to change your
        Kingdom's/Principality's/local area's viewpoint to understand that this
        is period and doesn't violate the sumptuary laws - that it's just a
        custom that arose from what could be some poor drunk fool's
        interpretation of those laws to a newbie who stayed around and still
        spouts it as Gospel. The SCA is young enough that some customs are still
        ugly enough to need their faces changed every once in a while. You might
        butt heads a bit with some folks, outside of those who might balk at
        first, but then move on. With those who *must* argue about it and insist
        on their ways (while not wearing a crown), just part ways knowing that
        you're both right, and likely, you're both wrong as well, on some level
        and in the other's opinion. Eventually, people will either A) accept
        your "new" tradition, or B) decide that you're just a weirdo who insists
        on following the law to the letter and applying your "creativeness" to
        the "anachronism." Well, there's C), but C) can be appealed.

        Grinning wryly,
        Margaret Northwode