Re: [Authentic_SCA] frustrated in the thirteenth century :(

  • Sarah Michele Ford
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004

      Well, if you subscribe to the theory that there are a lot of
      similarities between France and England during that time period, the
      Maciejowski Bible would be a good place to start looking. It has a
      fair number of images of various trades.

      A couple of links:
      http://www.keesn.nl/mac/mac_en.htm
      http://www.medievaltymes.com/courtyard/maciejowski_bible.htm

      Alianor de R
    • Marc Carlson
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Stainton"
        <newshoes2@c...> wrote:
        > could anyone point me in the direction of 13th century Northumberland,
        > specifically the tradesmen/craftsmen of the time?
        > im having a dickens of a time finding anything :(
        > also 13th century camp accutriments aside from tables beds and
        > shelters thanks :)

        YOu might take a look at the 75years yahoogroup, which focuses
        specifically on re-enacting in the 1250-1325 range (this of course
        assumes you are looking at the late 13th century, not earlier).
        Generally a nice bunch of folks, and they respond fairly well to
        people who are alb eto demonstrate they are also doing research and
        are willing to share it.

        You might want to spread your research first to 13th century in
        general and northumberland in general. Then you can try to bring them
        together. It's entirely likely that there IS no research that
        anyone's done covering this period and place so far.

        Marc/Diarmaid
      • julian wilson
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004
          Dear Marc -
          so is there a 'yahoo-group' which specifically focuses of the XVth Century - as you describe for the "75years" yahoo-group?
          Julian Wilson,
          in "olde" Jersey

          Marc Carlson <marccarlson20@...> wrote:
          SNIP
          YOu might take a look at the 75years yahoogroup, which focuses
          specifically on re-enacting in the 1250-1325 range (this of course
          assumes you are looking at the late 13th century, not earlier). SNIP

        • Marc Carlson
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@y...> wrote:
            > so is there a 'yahoo-group' which specifically focuses of the XVth
            > Century - as you describe for the "75years" yahoo-group?
            > Julian Wilson, in "olde" Jersey

            Honestly, I have no idea. Let me look.

            OrderOfTheSword
            cosg-living-history (as opposed to cosg-members)
            warsroses
            15thCenturyEurope
            warsoftherosesuk

            And a smattering of more specific groups.

            Marc/Diarmaid
          • julian wilson
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004
              Dear Marc, TYVM for your prompt reply. I shall investigate at once.
              your gratefully, Julian, in "olde" Jersey

              Marc Carlson <marccarlson20@...> wrote:
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@y...> wrote:
              > so is there a 'yahoo-group' which specifically focuses of the XVth
              > Century - as you describe for the "75years" yahoo-group?
              > Julian Wilson, in "olde" Jersey

              Honestly, I have no idea. Let me look.

              OrderOfTheSword
              cosg-living-history (as opposed to cosg-members)
              warsroses
              15thCenturyEurope
              warsoftherosesuk

              And a smattering of more specific groups.

              Marc/Diarmaid

            • Sharon L. Krossa
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004
                At 5:13 PM +0000 9/3/04, Marc Carlson wrote:
                >--- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Stainton"
                ><newshoes2@c...> wrote:
                > > could anyone point me in the direction of 13th century Northumberland,
                > > specifically the tradesmen/craftsmen of the time?
                > > im having a dickens of a time finding anything :(
                > > also 13th century camp accutriments aside from tables beds and
                > > shelters thanks :)
                >You might want to spread your research first to 13th century in
                >general and northumberland in general. Then you can try to bring them
                >together. It's entirely likely that there IS no research that
                >anyone's done covering this period and place so far.

                In a similar vein, you might want to research tradesmen/craftsmen in
                general and 12th-14th century urban history in general, which should
                lead you to 13th century English urban history, which if you're lucky
                will lead you to 13th century Northumberland urban history (including
                tradesmen/craftsmen). But it is very unlikely that you'll find
                anything conveniently labelled "13th century Northumberland urban
                history" or even "13th century Northumberland history" -- you'll need
                to learn what the topics touching on the relevant aspects of 13th
                century Northumberland (that have been researched) are and are
                called. (Alas, historical studies are not often organized or labelled
                in ways that are convenient for re-creators trying to research the
                time and place of their specific persona ;-)

                Affrick
                --
                Sharon L. Krossa, skrossa-ml@...
              • Jennifer Poulin
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 8, 2004
                  May I suggest MedCos: Medieval and Renaissance Costuming Community:

                  http://slumberland.org/moodle/course/view.php?id=5

                  It has an excellent 15th Century section. It's a free forum, and
                  very supportive.

                  Matilda
                • julian wilson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 8, 2004
                    Dear Jennifer Poulin,
                    TYVM for the link you posted. I shall take a look this evening.
                    Julian,
                    in "olde" Jersey

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 8, 2004
                      Thank you! Real people in real garb. Don't get me wrong I love
                      looking at portraits for garb ideas. But there is something about
                      seeing garb on actual SCA people that makes the "light bulb of
                      understanding" go on in my mind. :)

                      Crystal