frustrated in the thirteenth century :(

  • Shane Stainton
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004
      could anyone point me in the direction of 13th century Northumberland,
      specifically the tradesmen/craftsmen of the time?
      im having a dickens of a time finding anything :(
      also 13th century camp accutriments aside from tables beds and shelters
      thanks :)
      YIS
      Fergal the Botteler
    • Sarah Michele Ford
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004

        Well, if you subscribe to the theory that there are a lot of
        similarities between France and England during that time period, the
        Maciejowski Bible would be a good place to start looking. It has a
        fair number of images of various trades.

        A couple of links:
        http://www.keesn.nl/mac/mac_en.htm
        http://www.medievaltymes.com/courtyard/maciejowski_bible.htm

        Alianor de R
      • Marc Carlson
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Stainton"
          <newshoes2@c...> wrote:
          > could anyone point me in the direction of 13th century Northumberland,
          > specifically the tradesmen/craftsmen of the time?
          > im having a dickens of a time finding anything :(
          > also 13th century camp accutriments aside from tables beds and
          > shelters thanks :)

          YOu might take a look at the 75years yahoogroup, which focuses
          specifically on re-enacting in the 1250-1325 range (this of course
          assumes you are looking at the late 13th century, not earlier).
          Generally a nice bunch of folks, and they respond fairly well to
          people who are alb eto demonstrate they are also doing research and
          are willing to share it.

          You might want to spread your research first to 13th century in
          general and northumberland in general. Then you can try to bring them
          together. It's entirely likely that there IS no research that
          anyone's done covering this period and place so far.

          Marc/Diarmaid
        • julian wilson
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004
            Dear Marc -
            so is there a 'yahoo-group' which specifically focuses of the XVth Century - as you describe for the "75years" yahoo-group?
            Julian Wilson,
            in "olde" Jersey

            Marc Carlson <marccarlson20@...> wrote:
            SNIP
            YOu might take a look at the 75years yahoogroup, which focuses
            specifically on re-enacting in the 1250-1325 range (this of course
            assumes you are looking at the late 13th century, not earlier). SNIP

          • Marc Carlson
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@y...> wrote:
              > so is there a 'yahoo-group' which specifically focuses of the XVth
              > Century - as you describe for the "75years" yahoo-group?
              > Julian Wilson, in "olde" Jersey

              Honestly, I have no idea. Let me look.

              OrderOfTheSword
              cosg-living-history (as opposed to cosg-members)
              warsroses
              15thCenturyEurope
              warsoftherosesuk

              And a smattering of more specific groups.

              Marc/Diarmaid
            • julian wilson
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004
                Dear Marc, TYVM for your prompt reply. I shall investigate at once.
                your gratefully, Julian, in "olde" Jersey

                Marc Carlson <marccarlson20@...> wrote:
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@y...> wrote:
                > so is there a 'yahoo-group' which specifically focuses of the XVth
                > Century - as you describe for the "75years" yahoo-group?
                > Julian Wilson, in "olde" Jersey

                Honestly, I have no idea. Let me look.

                OrderOfTheSword
                cosg-living-history (as opposed to cosg-members)
                warsroses
                15thCenturyEurope
                warsoftherosesuk

                And a smattering of more specific groups.

                Marc/Diarmaid

              • Sharon L. Krossa
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004
                  At 5:13 PM +0000 9/3/04, Marc Carlson wrote:
                  >--- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Stainton"
                  ><newshoes2@c...> wrote:
                  > > could anyone point me in the direction of 13th century Northumberland,
                  > > specifically the tradesmen/craftsmen of the time?
                  > > im having a dickens of a time finding anything :(
                  > > also 13th century camp accutriments aside from tables beds and
                  > > shelters thanks :)
                  >You might want to spread your research first to 13th century in
                  >general and northumberland in general. Then you can try to bring them
                  >together. It's entirely likely that there IS no research that
                  >anyone's done covering this period and place so far.

                  In a similar vein, you might want to research tradesmen/craftsmen in
                  general and 12th-14th century urban history in general, which should
                  lead you to 13th century English urban history, which if you're lucky
                  will lead you to 13th century Northumberland urban history (including
                  tradesmen/craftsmen). But it is very unlikely that you'll find
                  anything conveniently labelled "13th century Northumberland urban
                  history" or even "13th century Northumberland history" -- you'll need
                  to learn what the topics touching on the relevant aspects of 13th
                  century Northumberland (that have been researched) are and are
                  called. (Alas, historical studies are not often organized or labelled
                  in ways that are convenient for re-creators trying to research the
                  time and place of their specific persona ;-)

                  Affrick
                  --
                  Sharon L. Krossa, skrossa-ml@...
                • Jennifer Poulin
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 8, 2004
                    May I suggest MedCos: Medieval and Renaissance Costuming Community:

                    http://slumberland.org/moodle/course/view.php?id=5

                    It has an excellent 15th Century section. It's a free forum, and
                    very supportive.

                    Matilda
                  • julian wilson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 8, 2004
                      Dear Jennifer Poulin,
                      TYVM for the link you posted. I shall take a look this evening.
                      Julian,
                      in "olde" Jersey

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 8, 2004
                        Thank you! Real people in real garb. Don't get me wrong I love
                        looking at portraits for garb ideas. But there is something about
                        seeing garb on actual SCA people that makes the "light bulb of
                        understanding" go on in my mind. :)

                        Crystal