Re: [Authentic_SCA] SCA Sumptuary Laws and Customs vs. Authenticity

  • Despair Bear
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 2, 2004
      > Is it wrong of me to be extremely frustrated that
      > unhistorical SCA customs
      > prevents me from being as authentic as I would like?
      > It's not as though I
      > am swimming in non-SCA venues in which to dress as a
      > Mongol. And while I
      > could "legally" wear a red sash, I'd rather not deal
      > with the flack.

      I could see some fallout from the use of a white belt
      but I don't see it happening with the use of a red
      belt. Squire is not a rank or title, is has no
      official sanction in the SCA it is only a tradition
      held by some. In some parts of the west the red belt
      tradition for squires is being done away with and
      squires are wearing what ever they want.

      Godric Of Castlemont

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Maura Folsom
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 2, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa A Barton (S)"
        <m_barton@c...> wrote:

        > Red, decorated with woven or embroidered gold and silver thread silk
        > sashes
        > White leather belts with (usually) gold belt-plaques

        Both of these are decorated. The suptuary laws *and* traditions all
        specify *undecorated*. I fail to see a problem.

        Marguerie
      • Katherine Throckmorton
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 2, 2004
          > >Red, decorated with woven or embroidered gold and silver thread silk
          > >sashes
          > >White leather belts with (usually) gold belt-plaques

          >Both of these are decorated. The suptuary laws *and* traditions all
          >specify *undecorated*. I fail to see a problem.

          The problem is that in some Kingdoms (for example Atenveldt) peers, and to some degree the community as a whole, are very strict about guarding against *any* infrigement on the regelia of peers, especially, it seems the regelia of of knights. And over the past several years, it has become the fashion among knights to wear decorated belts. Ironically enough, this fashion is mainly seen among those knights who are most interested in authenticity. This creates a social situation where white belts of any kind, wether decorated or not are not really considered socially acceptable.

          Things may be quite different in different kingdoms, so I suspect that wether or not the Mongol with the delimma can "get away" with a decoracted white belt depends a great deal on their kingdom. I will say though, that even in Atenveldt, where things are pretty strict, a decorated red sash dosen't have a problem.

          my two pence,
          Katherine
          who vaugely remembers that years ago there was a double peer iirc a Laurel/Pelican who posted on the Rialto that if anyone hassled you for wearing a yellow or green belt you were welcome to say he was your Master, and thinks that a Knight made a similar offer.
          Arguing with a herald is like wrestling with a pig. First you get really dirty and muddy, and then, after a while, you begin to realize the pig is enjoying himself.                                                                                                                     -Sliverwing's 54th Law of SCA Dynamics
        • bronwynmgn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 3, 2004
            In a message dated 9/2/2004 5:14:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

            <<I'm not sure. My impression is that the sashes are primarily red, and
            I've noticed non-European persona knights and squires wearing sashes
            before;>>

            If I remember corectly, you were discussing a sash worn aroun the waist
            instead of a belt, rather than a shoulder to hip sash. I'll assume so from here on
            out.

            << I'm currently less concerned with the letter of the law (or
            custom) and more with how people will perceive it. My impression is that
            most people see "red thingy around waist" and think "squire", but this may
            not be true.>>

            While most people may see it that way, in most kingdoms red for a squire's
            belt is not a matter of law, but only of custom, whereas the white belt for
            knights is reserved by Society law. There are some areas, parts of Atlantia for
            examples, where squire's belts are sometimes blue due to the influence of a
            particular household that uses that.

            That said, if you don't make it actually scarlet, there shouldn't be a
            problem. I've been wearing a thin belt of a red-brown shade for quite a few years.
            The merchant who sold it to me cautioned me that some might mistake it for a
            squire's belt, but I've only had one or two people even ask me.

            If it's only custom, not law, and it goes against authenticity, I say go
            ahead and be authentic, just be prepared to explain to people why you are wearing
            what you are wearing and why it's not "against the rules".

            Brangwayna
          • Willie Walter
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 3, 2004
              --- bronwynmgn@... wrote:
              > While most people may see it that way, in most
              > kingdoms red for a squire's
              > belt is not a matter of law, but only of custom,
              > whereas the white belt for
              > knights is reserved by Society law. There are some
              > areas, parts of Atlantia for
              > examples, where squire's belts are sometimes blue
              > due to the influence of a
              > particular household that uses that.

              For awhile, I thought that apprentices' belts were
              typically blue, thanks to a friend who is apprenticed
              to the matriarch of that same household. (At least,
              I'm guessing it's the same household.) It made sense
              to me at the time: "Her apprentice belt is blue.
              Therefore, most-if-not-all apprentice belts--at least
              in Atlantia--are blue." :) My friend corrected my
              faulty assumption, telling me it's a household custom.

              Peace,
              Grainne ingen Lugdach
              Shire of Roxbury Mill
              Atlantia

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • Heather Murray
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 3, 2004
                cathal@... wrote:

                > I honestly think you're safe with the sash.
                > Anybody bugs you you just refer them to me.
                >
                > Capt Elias
                >

                > Or if you're down Meridies-way just refer them over to me.
                > I enjoy the application of the occasional come-uppance especially
                > if sumptuary laws appear in the argument...
                >
                > Cathal.

                ::Margaret pays obeisance to the visage of Cathal, and lays a small
                ceramic figurine of a Siamese in a bowl before it::

                Now, he's in south central Meridies, so if you happen to be in North
                Meridies without him nearby, you send 'em my way. I'm not as gentle as
                some ladies when it comes to suffering the willingly ignorant, though I
                have some sympathetic understanding of the socially inept. I'll be happy
                to tell them my own story and viewpoint and then endeavor to show them
                the period way to apologize.

                Look, the fact of the matter is, the rules say what they say. If someone
                wants to get offended by something outside the realm of those rules,
                they will do so whether or not the facts of history back you up. In the
                end the best path for your authenticity may be to work to change your
                Kingdom's/Principality's/local area's viewpoint to understand that this
                is period and doesn't violate the sumptuary laws - that it's just a
                custom that arose from what could be some poor drunk fool's
                interpretation of those laws to a newbie who stayed around and still
                spouts it as Gospel. The SCA is young enough that some customs are still
                ugly enough to need their faces changed every once in a while. You might
                butt heads a bit with some folks, outside of those who might balk at
                first, but then move on. With those who *must* argue about it and insist
                on their ways (while not wearing a crown), just part ways knowing that
                you're both right, and likely, you're both wrong as well, on some level
                and in the other's opinion. Eventually, people will either A) accept
                your "new" tradition, or B) decide that you're just a weirdo who insists
                on following the law to the letter and applying your "creativeness" to
                the "anachronism." Well, there's C), but C) can be appealed.

                Grinning wryly,
                Margaret Northwode