RE: [Authentic_SCA] SCA Sumptuary Laws and Customs vs. Authenticity

  • Jeff Gedney
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
      >I'm not sure. My impression is that the sashes are primarily red, and
      >I've noticed non-European persona knights and squires wearing sashes
      >before; I'm currently less concerned with the letter of the law (or
      >custom) and more with how people will perceive it. My impression is that
      >most people see "red thingy around waist" and think "squire", but this may
      >not be true.

      I've seen a lot of people wearing sashes of various colors (not squires), including red, and only a few people have complained about being misjudged, and those say only a few times have they been intervened by an evidently thorogoing chowderhead.

      Now as for that there is a tradition in some Kingdoms that the highly placed fencing types get white scarves they wear around the shoulder, and they give, strangly enough, red scarves to their students, but this is NOT a sash around the waist.

      be that asa it may, you can't avoid utter dunderheads in any organization, but I think that except for certain kingdoms where everything is spelled out to the Nth degree, you will be pretty safe with a red sash, especially if it is worked with metallic threads.

      You may run into a rare "stiffnecked booby" who has recieved wisdom he needs to impart, but most everybody will will rock and roll with the sash, and not think, "Ack! Pretense! Uncleeeean!"

      but yiou have to judge for yourself. I dont think you have anything to care about, you wont get kicked out or shunned for wearing a red sash in any Kingdom, nor will have a problem if you just politely say, no I am not a squire, this is what a Mongol form this place and then would have worn, wanna see my documetation.

      I have heard of a young lady who sometimes wears a white belt as a "symbol of maidenly chastity" (which it really is) and carries a photocopy of the painting she got the outfit from to show the occasional querent, and nobody bugs her or drags her up in front of a court to denounce her.

      I honestly think you're safe with the sash.
      Anybody bugs you you just refer them to me.

      Capt Elias

      If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
      wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them
      to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
      - Antoine de Saint Exupery
    • cathal@mindspring.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
        I honestly think you're safe with the sash.
        Anybody bugs you you just refer them to me.

        Capt Elias

        Or if you're down Meridies-way just refer them over to me.
        I enjoy the application of the occasional come-uppance especially
        if sumptuary laws appear in the argument...

        Cathal.
      • cschutrick
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 2, 2004
          > Red, decorated with woven or embroidered gold and silver
          > thread silk sashes White leather belts with (usually)
          > gold belt-plaques

          > Is it wrong of me to be extremely frustrated that
          > unhistorical SCA customs prevents me from being as
          > authentic as I would like?

          Well, keep in mind that in both cases, the law/custom
          specifies 'unadorned'. Neither of your examples is unadorned, so
          you're all set.

          And the white belt thing isn't *entirely* ahistorical; it's just
          that, like many things we do, it was confined to a limited time and
          place, and wasn't as rigid in implementation as our version. :)

          --Jeannette
        • Despair Bear
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 2, 2004
            > Is it wrong of me to be extremely frustrated that
            > unhistorical SCA customs
            > prevents me from being as authentic as I would like?
            > It's not as though I
            > am swimming in non-SCA venues in which to dress as a
            > Mongol. And while I
            > could "legally" wear a red sash, I'd rather not deal
            > with the flack.

            I could see some fallout from the use of a white belt
            but I don't see it happening with the use of a red
            belt. Squire is not a rank or title, is has no
            official sanction in the SCA it is only a tradition
            held by some. In some parts of the west the red belt
            tradition for squires is being done away with and
            squires are wearing what ever they want.

            Godric Of Castlemont

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Maura Folsom
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 2, 2004
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa A Barton (S)"
              <m_barton@c...> wrote:

              > Red, decorated with woven or embroidered gold and silver thread silk
              > sashes
              > White leather belts with (usually) gold belt-plaques

              Both of these are decorated. The suptuary laws *and* traditions all
              specify *undecorated*. I fail to see a problem.

              Marguerie
            • Katherine Throckmorton
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 2, 2004
                From: "Maura Folsom"
                Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:47:45 -0000
                To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: [Authentic_SCA] Re: SCA Sumptuary Laws and Customs vs. Authenticity

                <m_barton@c...> wrote:

                > >Red, decorated with woven or embroidered gold and silver thread silk
                > >sashes
                > >White leather belts with (usually) gold belt-plaques

                >Both of these are decorated. The suptuary laws *and* traditions all
                >specify *undecorated*. I fail to see a problem.

                The problem is that in some Kingdoms (for example Atenveldt) peers, and to some degree the community as a whole, are very strict about guarding against *any* infrigement on the regelia of peers, especially, it seems the regelia of of knights. And over the past several years, it has become the fashion among knights to wear decorated belts. Ironically enough, this fashion is mainly seen among those knights who are most interested in authenticity. This creates a social situation where white belts of any kind, wether decorated or not are not really considered socially acceptable.

                Things may be quite different in different kingdoms, so I suspect that wether or not the Mongol with the delimma can "get away" with a decoracted white belt depends a great deal on their kingdom. I will say though, that even in Atenveldt, where things are pretty strict, a decorated red sash dosen't have a problem.

                my two pence,
                Katherine
                who vaugely remembers that years ago there was a double peer iirc a Laurel/Pelican who posted on the Rialto that if anyone hassled you for wearing a yellow or green belt you were welcome to say he was your Master, and thinks that a Knight made a similar offer.
                Arguing with a herald is like wrestling with a pig. First you get really dirty and muddy, and then, after a while, you begin to realize the pig is enjoying himself.                                                                                                                     -Sliverwing's 54th Law of SCA Dynamics
              • bronwynmgn@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 3, 2004
                  In a message dated 9/2/2004 5:14:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

                  <<I'm not sure. My impression is that the sashes are primarily red, and
                  I've noticed non-European persona knights and squires wearing sashes
                  before;>>

                  If I remember corectly, you were discussing a sash worn aroun the waist
                  instead of a belt, rather than a shoulder to hip sash. I'll assume so from here on
                  out.

                  << I'm currently less concerned with the letter of the law (or
                  custom) and more with how people will perceive it. My impression is that
                  most people see "red thingy around waist" and think "squire", but this may
                  not be true.>>

                  While most people may see it that way, in most kingdoms red for a squire's
                  belt is not a matter of law, but only of custom, whereas the white belt for
                  knights is reserved by Society law. There are some areas, parts of Atlantia for
                  examples, where squire's belts are sometimes blue due to the influence of a
                  particular household that uses that.

                  That said, if you don't make it actually scarlet, there shouldn't be a
                  problem. I've been wearing a thin belt of a red-brown shade for quite a few years.
                  The merchant who sold it to me cautioned me that some might mistake it for a
                  squire's belt, but I've only had one or two people even ask me.

                  If it's only custom, not law, and it goes against authenticity, I say go
                  ahead and be authentic, just be prepared to explain to people why you are wearing
                  what you are wearing and why it's not "against the rules".

                  Brangwayna
                • Willie Walter
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 3, 2004
                    --- bronwynmgn@... wrote:
                    > While most people may see it that way, in most
                    > kingdoms red for a squire's
                    > belt is not a matter of law, but only of custom,
                    > whereas the white belt for
                    > knights is reserved by Society law. There are some
                    > areas, parts of Atlantia for
                    > examples, where squire's belts are sometimes blue
                    > due to the influence of a
                    > particular household that uses that.

                    For awhile, I thought that apprentices' belts were
                    typically blue, thanks to a friend who is apprenticed
                    to the matriarch of that same household. (At least,
                    I'm guessing it's the same household.) It made sense
                    to me at the time: "Her apprentice belt is blue.
                    Therefore, most-if-not-all apprentice belts--at least
                    in Atlantia--are blue." :) My friend corrected my
                    faulty assumption, telling me it's a household custom.

                    Peace,
                    Grainne ingen Lugdach
                    Shire of Roxbury Mill
                    Atlantia

                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                  • Heather Murray
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 3, 2004
                      cathal@... wrote:

                      > I honestly think you're safe with the sash.
                      > Anybody bugs you you just refer them to me.
                      >
                      > Capt Elias
                      >

                      > Or if you're down Meridies-way just refer them over to me.
                      > I enjoy the application of the occasional come-uppance especially
                      > if sumptuary laws appear in the argument...
                      >
                      > Cathal.

                      ::Margaret pays obeisance to the visage of Cathal, and lays a small
                      ceramic figurine of a Siamese in a bowl before it::

                      Now, he's in south central Meridies, so if you happen to be in North
                      Meridies without him nearby, you send 'em my way. I'm not as gentle as
                      some ladies when it comes to suffering the willingly ignorant, though I
                      have some sympathetic understanding of the socially inept. I'll be happy
                      to tell them my own story and viewpoint and then endeavor to show them
                      the period way to apologize.

                      Look, the fact of the matter is, the rules say what they say. If someone
                      wants to get offended by something outside the realm of those rules,
                      they will do so whether or not the facts of history back you up. In the
                      end the best path for your authenticity may be to work to change your
                      Kingdom's/Principality's/local area's viewpoint to understand that this
                      is period and doesn't violate the sumptuary laws - that it's just a
                      custom that arose from what could be some poor drunk fool's
                      interpretation of those laws to a newbie who stayed around and still
                      spouts it as Gospel. The SCA is young enough that some customs are still
                      ugly enough to need their faces changed every once in a while. You might
                      butt heads a bit with some folks, outside of those who might balk at
                      first, but then move on. With those who *must* argue about it and insist
                      on their ways (while not wearing a crown), just part ways knowing that
                      you're both right, and likely, you're both wrong as well, on some level
                      and in the other's opinion. Eventually, people will either A) accept
                      your "new" tradition, or B) decide that you're just a weirdo who insists
                      on following the law to the letter and applying your "creativeness" to
                      the "anachronism." Well, there's C), but C) can be appealed.

                      Grinning wryly,
                      Margaret Northwode