Re: [Authentic_SCA] SCA Sumptuary Laws and Customs vs. Authenticity

  • Jeff Gedney
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
      IIRC, the only thing that is actually reserved to the chivalry is "unadorned" white/red belting.

      Apply some appropriate designs to the belts and they become a different matter, and "legal" for you to wear.

      The Red silk sash you describe will likely be perfectly unrecognizable as a SCA regalia, but the white leather belt with gold plaques, although not specifically reserved, comes pretty durn close to how many Knights in the SCA use them.
      It is probably legal for you to use then but you'll have to field a lot of questions.

      I'd go with the red sash and not worry about it any further.

      Capt Elias

      If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
      wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them
      to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
      - Antoine de Saint Exupery
    • Jonathan and Rebecca Barber
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
        > Is it wrong of me to be extremely frustrated that unhistorical SCA customs
        > prevents me from being as authentic as I would like? It's not as though I
        > am swimming in non-SCA venues in which to dress as a Mongol. And while I
        > could "legally" wear a red sash, I'd rather not deal with the flack.

        Unless it's written into Corpora or kingdom law, I ignore it. When people ask, I give them such a painfully detailed explanation of why it's appropriate to the outfit, time period and persona that they generally stumlbe away dazed. ;-)

        Yes, it's frustrating. But you agreed to follow the rules when you started playing the game. I find that by following the letter of the rules and then having a vaild explanation for not following custom or suggestions it works OK.

        John Patrick
      • Jennifer / Guenievre
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
          > My primary persona is an Ilkhanid Mongol. From my recent extensive
          > research, focusing on primary sources, I have found that throughout the
          > Mongol Empire, two colors were used almost exclusively for sashes and
          > belts (or at least -- any other colors used aren't really mentioned, aside
          > from one mention of sky-blue silk sashes for women and a few Persian
          > paintings showing black belts):
          >
          > Red, decorated with woven or embroidered gold and silver thread silk
          > sashes

          What are the proportions of metallic to color on these? I think if you had
          one that had more metallic than red, it wouldn't "read" to the casual
          observer as red and thus would be fine. I've seen some belts that were
          tabletwoven and such, and were half red or so, and no one gave the wearer
          any problems...

          Guenievre
        • Melissa A Barton (S)
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
            John Patrick wrote:

            [[The Red silk sash you describe will likely be perfectly unrecognizable
            as a SCA
            regalia, but the white leather belt with gold plaques, although not
            specifically
            reserved, comes pretty durn close to how many Knights in the SCA use them.
            It is probably legal for you to use then but you'll have to field a lot of
            questions.]]

            I'm not sure. My impression is that the sashes are primarily red, and
            I've noticed non-European persona knights and squires wearing sashes
            before; I'm currently less concerned with the letter of the law (or
            custom) and more with how people will perceive it. My impression is that
            most people see "red thingy around waist" and think "squire", but this may
            not be true.

            Guenievre wrote:

            [[What are the proportions of metallic to color on these? I think if you
            had
            one that had more metallic than red, it wouldn't "read" to the casual
            observer as red and thus would be fine. I've seen some belts that were
            tabletwoven and such, and were half red or so, and no one gave the wearer
            any problems...]]

            My impression is that they're more color than metallic, but unfortunately
            no extant garments or paintings of such sashes exist, so I'm going by
            descriptions in period sources. I would probably make a primarily color
            one myself, simply because it's a lot easier to acquire the materials than
            it is for a period-appropriate cloth-of-gold belt (which I really don't
            have the weaving skills for anyway), but I suppose I could always encrust
            it with semiprecious stones such that most of the fabric didn't show
            anyway, which is also period...although I unfortunately have not been able
            to figure out how the stones were attached.

            Thanks for the suggestions!

            -Qara Qulan

          • Jeff Gedney
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
              >I'm not sure. My impression is that the sashes are primarily red, and
              >I've noticed non-European persona knights and squires wearing sashes
              >before; I'm currently less concerned with the letter of the law (or
              >custom) and more with how people will perceive it. My impression is that
              >most people see "red thingy around waist" and think "squire", but this may
              >not be true.

              I've seen a lot of people wearing sashes of various colors (not squires), including red, and only a few people have complained about being misjudged, and those say only a few times have they been intervened by an evidently thorogoing chowderhead.

              Now as for that there is a tradition in some Kingdoms that the highly placed fencing types get white scarves they wear around the shoulder, and they give, strangly enough, red scarves to their students, but this is NOT a sash around the waist.

              be that asa it may, you can't avoid utter dunderheads in any organization, but I think that except for certain kingdoms where everything is spelled out to the Nth degree, you will be pretty safe with a red sash, especially if it is worked with metallic threads.

              You may run into a rare "stiffnecked booby" who has recieved wisdom he needs to impart, but most everybody will will rock and roll with the sash, and not think, "Ack! Pretense! Uncleeeean!"

              but yiou have to judge for yourself. I dont think you have anything to care about, you wont get kicked out or shunned for wearing a red sash in any Kingdom, nor will have a problem if you just politely say, no I am not a squire, this is what a Mongol form this place and then would have worn, wanna see my documetation.

              I have heard of a young lady who sometimes wears a white belt as a "symbol of maidenly chastity" (which it really is) and carries a photocopy of the painting she got the outfit from to show the occasional querent, and nobody bugs her or drags her up in front of a court to denounce her.

              I honestly think you're safe with the sash.
              Anybody bugs you you just refer them to me.

            • cathal@mindspring.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
                I honestly think you're safe with the sash.
                Anybody bugs you you just refer them to me.

                Capt Elias

                Or if you're down Meridies-way just refer them over to me.
                I enjoy the application of the occasional come-uppance especially
                if sumptuary laws appear in the argument...

                Cathal.
              • cschutrick
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 2, 2004
                  > Red, decorated with woven or embroidered gold and silver
                  > thread silk sashes White leather belts with (usually)
                  > gold belt-plaques

                  > Is it wrong of me to be extremely frustrated that
                  > unhistorical SCA customs prevents me from being as
                  > authentic as I would like?

                  Well, keep in mind that in both cases, the law/custom
                  specifies 'unadorned'. Neither of your examples is unadorned, so
                  you're all set.

                  And the white belt thing isn't *entirely* ahistorical; it's just
                  that, like many things we do, it was confined to a limited time and
                  place, and wasn't as rigid in implementation as our version. :)

                  --Jeannette
                • Despair Bear
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 2, 2004
                    > Is it wrong of me to be extremely frustrated that
                    > unhistorical SCA customs
                    > prevents me from being as authentic as I would like?
                    > It's not as though I
                    > am swimming in non-SCA venues in which to dress as a
                    > Mongol. And while I
                    > could "legally" wear a red sash, I'd rather not deal
                    > with the flack.

                    I could see some fallout from the use of a white belt
                    but I don't see it happening with the use of a red
                    belt. Squire is not a rank or title, is has no
                    official sanction in the SCA it is only a tradition
                    held by some. In some parts of the west the red belt
                    tradition for squires is being done away with and
                    squires are wearing what ever they want.

                    Godric Of Castlemont

                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                  • Maura Folsom
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 2, 2004
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa A Barton (S)"
                      <m_barton@c...> wrote:

                      > Red, decorated with woven or embroidered gold and silver thread silk
                      > sashes
                      > White leather belts with (usually) gold belt-plaques

                      Both of these are decorated. The suptuary laws *and* traditions all
                      specify *undecorated*. I fail to see a problem.

                      Marguerie
                    • Katherine Throckmorton
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 2, 2004
                        From: "Maura Folsom"
                        Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:47:45 -0000
                        To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
                        Subject: [Authentic_SCA] Re: SCA Sumptuary Laws and Customs vs. Authenticity

                        <m_barton@c...> wrote:

                        > >Red, decorated with woven or embroidered gold and silver thread silk
                        > >sashes
                        > >White leather belts with (usually) gold belt-plaques

                        >Both of these are decorated. The suptuary laws *and* traditions all
                        >specify *undecorated*. I fail to see a problem.

                        The problem is that in some Kingdoms (for example Atenveldt) peers, and to some degree the community as a whole, are very strict about guarding against *any* infrigement on the regelia of peers, especially, it seems the regelia of of knights. And over the past several years, it has become the fashion among knights to wear decorated belts. Ironically enough, this fashion is mainly seen among those knights who are most interested in authenticity. This creates a social situation where white belts of any kind, wether decorated or not are not really considered socially acceptable.

                        Things may be quite different in different kingdoms, so I suspect that wether or not the Mongol with the delimma can "get away" with a decoracted white belt depends a great deal on their kingdom. I will say though, that even in Atenveldt, where things are pretty strict, a decorated red sash dosen't have a problem.

                        my two pence,
                        Katherine
                        who vaugely remembers that years ago there was a double peer iirc a Laurel/Pelican who posted on the Rialto that if anyone hassled you for wearing a yellow or green belt you were welcome to say he was your Master, and thinks that a Knight made a similar offer.
                        Arguing with a herald is like wrestling with a pig. First you get really dirty and muddy, and then, after a while, you begin to realize the pig is enjoying himself.                                                                                                                     -Sliverwing's 54th Law of SCA Dynamics
                      • bronwynmgn@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 3, 2004
                          In a message dated 9/2/2004 5:14:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                          Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

                          <<I'm not sure. My impression is that the sashes are primarily red, and
                          I've noticed non-European persona knights and squires wearing sashes
                          before;>>

                          If I remember corectly, you were discussing a sash worn aroun the waist
                          instead of a belt, rather than a shoulder to hip sash. I'll assume so from here on
                          out.

                          << I'm currently less concerned with the letter of the law (or
                          custom) and more with how people will perceive it. My impression is that
                          most people see "red thingy around waist" and think "squire", but this may
                          not be true.>>

                          While most people may see it that way, in most kingdoms red for a squire's
                          belt is not a matter of law, but only of custom, whereas the white belt for
                          knights is reserved by Society law. There are some areas, parts of Atlantia for
                          examples, where squire's belts are sometimes blue due to the influence of a
                          particular household that uses that.

                          That said, if you don't make it actually scarlet, there shouldn't be a
                          problem. I've been wearing a thin belt of a red-brown shade for quite a few years.
                          The merchant who sold it to me cautioned me that some might mistake it for a
                          squire's belt, but I've only had one or two people even ask me.

                          If it's only custom, not law, and it goes against authenticity, I say go
                          ahead and be authentic, just be prepared to explain to people why you are wearing
                          what you are wearing and why it's not "against the rules".

                          Brangwayna
                        • Willie Walter
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 3, 2004
                            --- bronwynmgn@... wrote:
                            > While most people may see it that way, in most
                            > kingdoms red for a squire's
                            > belt is not a matter of law, but only of custom,
                            > whereas the white belt for
                            > knights is reserved by Society law. There are some
                            > areas, parts of Atlantia for
                            > examples, where squire's belts are sometimes blue
                            > due to the influence of a
                            > particular household that uses that.

                            For awhile, I thought that apprentices' belts were
                            typically blue, thanks to a friend who is apprenticed
                            to the matriarch of that same household. (At least,
                            I'm guessing it's the same household.) It made sense
                            to me at the time: "Her apprentice belt is blue.
                            Therefore, most-if-not-all apprentice belts--at least
                            in Atlantia--are blue." :) My friend corrected my
                            faulty assumption, telling me it's a household custom.

                            Peace,
                            Grainne ingen Lugdach
                            Shire of Roxbury Mill
                            Atlantia

                            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                          • Heather Murray
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 3, 2004
                              cathal@... wrote:

                              > I honestly think you're safe with the sash.
                              > Anybody bugs you you just refer them to me.
                              >
                              > Capt Elias
                              >

                              > Or if you're down Meridies-way just refer them over to me.
                              > I enjoy the application of the occasional come-uppance especially
                              > if sumptuary laws appear in the argument...
                              >
                              > Cathal.

                              ::Margaret pays obeisance to the visage of Cathal, and lays a small
                              ceramic figurine of a Siamese in a bowl before it::

                              Now, he's in south central Meridies, so if you happen to be in North
                              Meridies without him nearby, you send 'em my way. I'm not as gentle as
                              some ladies when it comes to suffering the willingly ignorant, though I
                              have some sympathetic understanding of the socially inept. I'll be happy
                              to tell them my own story and viewpoint and then endeavor to show them
                              the period way to apologize.

                              Look, the fact of the matter is, the rules say what they say. If someone
                              wants to get offended by something outside the realm of those rules,
                              they will do so whether or not the facts of history back you up. In the
                              end the best path for your authenticity may be to work to change your
                              Kingdom's/Principality's/local area's viewpoint to understand that this
                              is period and doesn't violate the sumptuary laws - that it's just a
                              custom that arose from what could be some poor drunk fool's
                              interpretation of those laws to a newbie who stayed around and still
                              spouts it as Gospel. The SCA is young enough that some customs are still
                              ugly enough to need their faces changed every once in a while. You might
                              butt heads a bit with some folks, outside of those who might balk at
                              first, but then move on. With those who *must* argue about it and insist
                              on their ways (while not wearing a crown), just part ways knowing that
                              you're both right, and likely, you're both wrong as well, on some level
                              and in the other's opinion. Eventually, people will either A) accept
                              your "new" tradition, or B) decide that you're just a weirdo who insists
                              on following the law to the letter and applying your "creativeness" to
                              the "anachronism." Well, there's C), but C) can be appealed.

                              Grinning wryly,
                              Margaret Northwode