Re: HELP!! Bright Blue Wool!!

  • neimhaille
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
      > OK (slightly modified from a Janet Arnold pattern) but, she has
      made
      > it from a very bright, almost electric blue wool. She has also
      made
      > thread covered buttons for it with embroidery thread of the same
      > color. I'm wondering if there is any way tone this thing down or
      > darken it without damaging the fabric or the buttons.

      Is there an issue with this colour not being appropriate for the
      particular era? I ask as there are some pretty darned vivid blues in
      tapestries, 500 years after they were made;) 17thC isn't my forte but
      I have also seen some nice blues in paintings.. Again , not my forte
      and I'm not even aware of your particular needs for your group.

      I really wouldn't tea dye. I've heard some nice horror stories of
      things being broken down over time. It's certainly not advised for
      heirloom pieces anyway. Apparently there is a way to neutralise the
      acid, but honestly I'd rather just use a safe purpose created dye;)

      The acid might not affect the wool (that's why the ground is silk and
      the pile rayon for chiffon velvet to be acid etched after all) but
      the thread for the buttons probably will.

      She might get good results using a dye which is made for both protein
      and cellulose based fibres (like Dylon), so it should dye the wool
      and the thread. Use a colour from the other side of the colour
      wheel.. thing.. Complimentary colours should muddy the tone a bit, so
      that should be an orange toned dye.

      Of course, testing on scraps is paramount and much more diluted than
      usual so she doesn't get brown, but a less vibrant blue.

      She could also go over with black and deepen the colour to a midnight
      blue. Maybe even navy...

      Lady Willemyne (the vibrant.. orange, teal, sunshine yellow... though
      not all at once;) )
      http://costumes.glittersweet.com
    • arrahateck
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2004
        Thanks to all for the suggestions on toning down the blue wool. I
        had not even thought about tea or coffee. The 18th century frontier
        part of me jumped straight to walnut hulls. I will apprise her of
        the possible danger of the tannic acid breaking down the fabric over
        time. Not sure how long that might be. Our clothing sees some
        rather hard usage anyway, so it may not be an issue. To answer
        the "Why not bright electric blue?", we are a 17th century New World
        frontier settlement (1611 - 1622). Our staff portrays the labouring
        classes in that harsh setting (though there are a few peacocks among
        our volunteer reenactors!). The thread buttons are her first
        attempt. If the embroidery thread breaks down, I will recommend she
        try again with black or some other more subdued color. I'm tickled
        pink about the thread buttons anyway.

        Take care,
        Pete McKee