Re: [Authentic_SCA] Seeking Spanish info

  • Stephen Higa
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 18, 2001
      That sounds absolutely amazing! My persona, Moshe Mantega, just happens to
      be from 12th c. Spain. I can't tell you much about the other things, but as
      for entertainment, in al-Andalus slave girls from the Eastern Mediterranean
      were brought in and highly prized for their repertoire of memorized
      muwashshahat, or sung strophic poetry in classical Arabic. She would be
      sold with a list of her repertoire, and maybe an entourage of musicians;
      popular instruments in the 13th c. (according to al-Tifashi, 1184-1253) were
      the 'ud (lute), nay (flute), duff (tambourine), shiz (castanets), ruta
      (Spanish "rota," English "crowd," "rote;" a lyre), rabab (rebec), and buq
      (horn, the most characteristically Andalusian of instruments). The
      performance of a single muwashshah could literally take hours.

      A zajal (a sung poem in colloquial Arabic) by ibn Quzman (1086-1160),
      "Yahni-kum, Yahni-kum!," describes an Andalusian evening's entertainment.
      Instruments mentioned: the naqra (nakers), duff, shiz, bandayr (Moroccan
      snare frame drum), zamir (double reed pipe). There's a male dancer in
      female clothes (a flowing veil, taffeta, amulets, and a full-length tail),
      magic tricks by trained dogs, a heroic epic in honor of an important guest
      (sung to the qunbur, or long-necked lute), a staged mock-battle (to
      illustrate the epic?) with costumed characters and stage props, and a dance
      by three singing women.

      Ahmad ibn Muhammad al-Yamani (the Yemenite), describes a certain late night
      wine party in 1015: "I opened the door of my room and followed the sound
      until I reached the part of the house whence I could overlook the neighbors.
      I saw a large garden with about twenty people in the center, seated in a row
      with sweets, fruits, and drinks before them. The girl who was singing sat
      apart fromt he others, and held her listeners spellbound."

      An interesting aspect of Andalusian entertainment I would like to explore
      would be the shadow-plays. As yet I have only seen them mentioned, not
      adequately described. If you happen to find out more about them, please do
      post it to the list!

      For some contacts, try Duke Cariadoc
      http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Medieval/Medieval.html (many recipes)
      and Anahita Gauri al-Fassi
      http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/courtyard.html
      lilinah@...

      Hope that helps with some aspects :)
      Moshe ibn Yishma'el
      By a veiled crescent moon; a human Gazelle, surpassing other Gazelles.
      Oh, would that I knew whether I will win him, or gain consolation!
      --ibn Zuhr (12th c.)

      ----------
      >From: Mark Calderwood <mark-c@...>
      >To: Authentic_SCA@egroups.com
      >Subject: [Authentic_SCA] Seeking Spanish info
      >Date: Thu, Jan 18, 2001, 3:52 AM
      >

      > Greetings, noble cousins,
      > I am a relative newcomer to this list, and considering one of the recent
      > threads this might be a good place to ask my question. I am looking for
      > cultural information on 12th or 13th century Spain; specifically I would
      > like to know about food presentation, social etiquette (did women sit apart
      > from men at feasts, etc), entertainment and such like. I am planning a
      > themed feast for later this year, based on Andalusian food and culture, and
      > would like to make it as authentic as possible. I wonder if someone would
      > be able to suggest some references I might be unaware of, or put me in
      > contact with people who research this area? Many thanks.
      >
      > Giles de Laval
      > Principality of Lochac
      >

      > This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

    • L Joseph
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 18, 2001
        What? No endless hours of the Dumbekistan Drum and
        Drum Corps?

        Jehanne de Wodeford is the Anglo Norman lady of a
        Crusader knight - so I can ding on things Saracen in
        the SCA with glee. Sorry I cannot offer much input on
        medieval Spain, but I have a friend who might, so I'll
        copy her on this and see if she has any suggestions.

        Addendum to the websites herein mentioned: Yahoo has a
        habit of transmitting the word m-e-d-i-e-v-a-l as
        "medireview" which is how I just received it.

        --- Stephen Higa <mitsuo@...> wrote:
> [...]
        > girl who was singing sat
        > apart fromt he others, and held her listeners
        > spellbound."
        >
        > An interesting aspect of Andalusian entertainment I
        > would like to explore
        > would be the shadow-plays. As yet I have only seen
        > them mentioned, not
        > adequately described. If you happen to find out
        > more about them, please do
        > post it to the list!
        >
        > For some contacts, try Duke Cariadoc
        > http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Medieval/Medieval.html
        > (many recipes)
        > and Anahita Gauri al-Fassi
        > http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/courtyard.html
        > lilinah@...
        >
        > Hope that helps with some aspects :)
        > Moshe ibn Yishma'el

        > By a veiled crescent moon; a human Gazelle,
        > surpassing other Gazelles.
        > Oh, would that I knew whether I will win him, or

        =====
        When longbows are outlawed, only outlaws will have longbows.

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Stephen Higa
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 20, 2001
          > What? No endless hours of the Dumbekistan Drum and
          > Drum Corps?

          You got that right! Well, maybe for the "common" people. But then the
          drums would be accompanied by loud wind instruments, or voices. Rarely
          several dumbeks at one time, more likely to be frame drums. Unfortunately,
          the Dumbekistan Drum and Drum Corps (that's cute, did you make it up?) is
          what most SCAdians associate with Middle Eastern personae. :(

          > Jehanne de Wodeford is the Anglo Norman lady of a
          > Crusader knight - so I can ding on things Saracen in
          > the SCA with glee.

          hee hee. :)

          > Sorry I cannot offer much input on
          > medieval Spain, but I have a friend who might, so I'll
          > copy her on this and see if she has any suggestions.

          cool!

          el Dio vos guadre,
          Moshe

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 22, 2001
            --- Stephen Higa <mitsuo@...> wrote:
            > Unfortunately, the Dumbekistan Drum and Drum Corps
            > (that's cute, did you make it up?) is
            > what most SCAdians associate with Middle Eastern
            > personae. :(
            I must credit Lady Sapphira The Navigator with the
            term - she came up with it after getting little sleep
            at Pennsic due to an unending drum circle within
            hearing of our supposedly quiet area campsite.

            > > Jehanne de Wodeford is the Anglo Norman lady of a
            > > Crusader knight - so I can ding on things Saracen
            > > in the SCA with glee.
            >
            > hee hee. :)
            However, my beloved suffers from multiple persona
            disorder and his Mid Eastern persona (Naqib, Son of
            the Dessert and yes, that is Dessert as in with
            whipped cream and a maraschino cherry on top) has
            surfaced a few times and kidnapped me to drum and play
            tambourine at a hafla or two last winter. If one is
            blessed by the presence of a truly gifted drummer this
            sort of thing, in small doses, can actually be kind of
            amusing. But you didn't hear that from me! (Snicker)

            Cheers,
            Jehanne de Wodeford, Rusted Woodlands, EAST

            =====
            When longbows are outlawed, only outlaws will have longbows.

            http://auctions.yahoo.com/
          • Mark Calderwood
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 25, 2001
              Greetings, noble cousins,

              Thank you Jehanne and especially Moshe for so much information, this will
              be very useful! I'm hoping to present a similar thing to the dinner party
              described by al-Yamani, with Moorish, Jewish and Christian guests (even
              though they would not have mingled socially very much in reality, for this
              event to be practical guests have to have some choice). Thanks also for the
              links, I have a few Andalusian cookbooks including Duke Cariadoc's, and
              will be contacting Mistress Anahita, so the food should be *very* good! I
              have several books on Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to calligraph
              several poems for guests to read. I'm also making wall hangings decorated
              with Arabic calligraphy, and if I get time am going to decorate some of the
              serving dishes with Islamic calligrams and proverbs. I can get someone who
              play the oud and shawn, and I'm looking into hiring an Australian music
              group called Cantigas, who play music from medieval Spain, the crusades and
              the Middle East-but we'll have to see how the budget looks! Again, many thanks.

              Giles
            • Stephen Higa
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 28, 2001
                > I'm hoping to present a similar thing to the dinner party
                > described by al-Yamani, with Moorish, Jewish and Christian guests (even
                > though they would not have mingled socially very much in reality, for this
                > event to be practical guests have to have some choice).

                Good idea. :) Actually, there was a little more mingling than one might
                think, especially between Jews and Muslims...

                > Thanks also for the
                > links, I have a few Andalusian cookbooks including Duke Cariadoc's, and
                > will be contacting Mistress Anahita, so the food should be *very* good!

                Of course it'll be. :)

                > have several books on Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to calligraph
                > several poems for guests to read. I'm also making wall hangings decorated
                > with Arabic calligraphy, and if I get time am going to decorate some of the
                > serving dishes with Islamic calligrams and proverbs.

                Wow, you're going all out! Congratulations on putting together something so
                cool.

                > I can get someone who
                > play the oud and shawn, and I'm looking into hiring an Australian music
                > group called Cantigas, who play music from medieval Spain, the crusades and
                > the Middle East-but we'll have to see how the budget looks! Again, many
                thanks.

                Hey, where are you going to be putting it on? If it's near the San
                Francisco Bay Area, myself and some others would be happy to perform, I'm
                sure. :) Some muwashshahat in the re-created medieval fashion...

                Tell us how it turns out! Sounds amazing.

                Moshe
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 31, 2001
                  > > have several books on Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to calligraph
                  > > several poems for guests to read.
                  >Wow, you're going all out! Congratulations on putting together something so
                  >cool.

                  Thank you! I'm a huge fan of themed events that expose people to something
                  new, and have run a few over the years, mostly from the Middle east or
                  Byzantium. They involve a lot of research and are a lot of work, but I
                  think are very well worth it.

                  For this particular feast I'm looking at Moorish banners and tiraz curtains
                  for the walls, the floors will have rugs, cushions and a few low stools.
                  I'm considering making a latticework screen to seperate male and female
                  diners, but that may not end up being practical. Lighting will be provided
                  by several polycandelon/mosque lamps we have, and I'd like to have a go at
                  a really sexy pryamidal chandelier style based on an example in a Spanish
                  mosque. The food will be served on low tables in accordance with the
                  etiquette of Ziryab although I draw the line at fine leather being used for
                  tablecloths!), and I'm hoping to hire some green-glazed Islamic/Byzantine
                  serving dishes reconstructed from archeological finds by a local potter.
                  Knowing my kitchen team the food will be sumptuous and blessedly free of
                  non-period middle eastern items!

                  As well as that, I hope there will be lots of poetry reading, games (chess,
                  zatrikion, alquerque, sirret), I daresay plenty of lighthearted flirting
                  through the screen, music, singing and dancing. I hadn't thought of a
                  puppet show, but it's a good idea, if I'm not exhausted with all the
                  rest of the preperations!

                  >Hey, where are you going to be putting it on? If it's near the San
                  >Francisco Bay Area, myself and some others would be happy to perform, I'm
                  >sure. :)

                  It's in Sydney, Australia. Not very close to the bay area, but you've got
                  eight months to save up your plane fare and come over! :o)

                  Giles
                • Beth
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 2, 2001
                    This is an announcement for an event held in Meridies called Andalusian Extravaganza. I enjoyed the historical text and the link they provided for more information. Their focus seems to be dance.

                    Ragnel

                    Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to  calligraph
                    > > several
                    poems for guests to read.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 7, 2001
                      > Thank you! I'm a huge fan of themed events that expose people to something
                      > new, and have run a few over the years, mostly from the Middle east or
                      > Byzantium. They involve a lot of research and are a lot of work, but I
                      > think are very well worth it.

                      I've never been to a themed event, and I don't recall ever hearing of any
                      where I am (in the West). However, a Maghrebi persona and I have been
                      fantasizing about some day putting up a pavillion at an event for Medieval
                      Spanish persona play, discussion of philosophy/science/theology/litereature,
                      poetry reading, etc. If we ever do that, I'll certainly ask you for advice!

                      > For this particular feast I'm looking at Moorish banners and tiraz curtains
                      > for the walls, the floors will have rugs, cushions and a few low stools.
                      > I'm considering making a latticework screen to seperate male and female
                      > diners, but that may not end up being practical. Lighting will be provided
                      > by several polycandelon/mosque lamps we have, and I'd like to have a go at
                      > a really sexy pryamidal chandelier style based on an example in a Spanish
                      > mosque. The food will be served on low tables in accordance with the
                      > etiquette of Ziryab although I draw the line at fine leather being used for
                      > tablecloths!), and I'm hoping to hire some green-glazed Islamic/Byzantine
                      > serving dishes reconstructed from archeological finds by a local potter.
                      > Knowing my kitchen team the food will be sumptuous and blessedly free of
                      > non-period middle eastern items!

                      Ahhhhh...that sounds so very cool! You've really done your research. I
                      especially love the re-created pottery!

                      > As well as that, I hope there will be lots of poetry reading, games (chess,
                      > zatrikion, alquerque, sirret), I daresay plenty of lighthearted flirting
                      > through the screen, music, singing and dancing. I hadn't thought of a
                      > puppet show, but it's a good idea, if I'm not exhausted with all the
                      > rest of the preperations!

                      [writhing with frustration over not being able to attend]

                      > It's in Sydney, Australia. Not very close to the bay area, but you've got
                      > eight months to save up your plane fare and come over! :o)

                      Umm, okay... Rats! Why do you have to live in Australia??

                      Moshe
                      Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers
                      menhs en cort que de belh saber
                      de trobar -- qu'auzir e vezer
                      hi vol hom mais captenhs leugiers
                      e critz mesclatz ab dezonor.

                      --Guiraut Riquier, 1292
                    • Stephen Higa
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 7, 2001
                        Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Seeking Spanish info aCtually, there was recently a discussion on the Medieval Spain eGroup as to the periodness (a word?) of "flamenco" dancing.  If anybody's interested, I'll forward some of the info. :)

                        From: "Beth" <ragnel@...>
                        To: <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com>
                        Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Seeking Spanish info
                        Date: Fri, Feb 2, 2001, 6:05 PM

                        This is an announcement for an event held in Meridies called Andalusian Extravaganza. I enjoyed the historical text and the link they provided for more information. Their focus seems to be dance.

                        http://seleone.webjump.com/andalusia.htm

                        Ragnel

                        > > have several books on Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to  calligraph
                        > > several poems for guests to read.
                        >Wow, you're going all out!  Congratulations on putting together something so
                        >cool.

                        Thank you! I'm a huge fan of themed events that expose people to something
                        new, and have run a few over the years, mostly from the Middle east or
                        Byzantium. They involve a lot of research and are a lot of work, but I
                        think are very well worth it.

                        For this particular feast I'm looking at Moorish banners and tiraz curtains
                        for the walls, the floors will have rugs, cushions and a few low stools.
                        I'm considering making a latticework screen to seperate male and female
                        diners, but that may not end up being practical. Lighting will be provided
                        by several polycandelon/mosque lamps we have, and I'd like to have a go at
                        a really sexy pryamidal chandelier style based on an example in a Spanish
                        mosque. The food will be served on low tables in accordance with the
                        etiquette of Ziryab although I draw the line at fine leather being used for
                        tablecloths!), and I'm hoping to hire some green-glazed Islamic/Byzantine
                        serving dishes reconstructed from archeological finds by a local potter.
                        Knowing my kitchen team the food will be sumptuous and blessedly free of
                        non-period middle eastern items!

                        As well as that, I hope there will be lots of poetry reading, games (chess,
                        zatrikion, alquerque, sirret), I daresay plenty of lighthearted flirting
                        through the screen, music, singing and dancing. I hadn't thought of a
                        puppet show, but it's a good idea, if I'm not exhausted with all the
                        rest  of the preperations!

                        >Hey, where are you going to be putting it on?  If it's near the San
                        >Francisco Bay Area, myself and some others would be happy to perform, I'm
                        >sure. :)

                        It's in Sydney, Australia. Not very close to the bay area, but you've got
                        eight months to save up your plane fare and come over! :o)

                        Giles

                        This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        www..com