Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Thought experiment

  • Hasoferet@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 2, 2004
      In a message dated 8/2/2004 6:31:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      smnco37@... writes:

      > Only you will know the difference. Those who view your completed projects
      > almost certainly will not.

      I think this depends on what the point of making the chairs was. If the point
      is to get chairs, I think your point is well made. However, if the point is
      to have the medieval experience of making the chairs...

      Everyone seems to come to that with a different set of priorities.

      Raquel
    • julian wilson
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 2, 2004
        Dear Rachel,
        yes, I do agree. You have made an important point which I have not previously considered as our Companie's Master Artisan, always having a larger queue of "group-projects-to-do" than I have time in which to execute them.
        Once our fairly-new Group has enough equipment - chairs, benches, tables, chests, and beds to outfit our "encampments" [which involves furnishing 7 pavillions when everyone turns-out] - why, then I too shall hope to have the leisure to consider making some repro-medieval woodwork entirely by hand, -purely for the satisfaction of doing it that way.
        Cordially,
        Julian Wilson,
        Historian, Master Artisan, [and other things] to
        "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
        the Island of Jersey's only medieval re-enactment Group.

        Hasoferet@... wrote:
        SNIP

        I think this depends on what the point of making the chairs was. If the point is to get chairs, I think your point is well made. However, if the point is
        to have the medieval experience of making the chairs...

        Everyone seems to come to that with a different set of priorities.

        SNIP

        Raquel

      • Kareina Talvi Tytär
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 2, 2004
          At 12:05 PM 7/30/04, Kass wrote:

          >Oh, and did I mention the huge Danish Modern concrete, glass and
          >metal box house on the hill which surveys everything in which I keep
          >all the modern stuff, like electricity, phone, flush toilets, and all
          >the things I cannot live without for more than a weekend.

          Gack! I hope you have a way in mind to set up the modern house on the hill
          such that you can't actually see it from the manor houses, stone house &
          cottage--it would just be *wrong* for the view from them! ;-)

          --Kareina, who'd be happy with a simple stone tower in the mountains to
          call home...

        • Kass McGann
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 2, 2004
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Kareina Talvi Tytär
            <kareina@i...> wrote:
            > Gack! I hope you have a way in mind to set up the modern house on
            the hill
            > such that you can't actually see it from the manor houses, stone
            house &
            > cottage--it would just be *wrong* for the view from them! ;-)

            Well, of course, Kareina! I live in the rolling hills of
            Pennsylvania, and the topography would make it pretty easy to
            accomplish with the right piece of land. =)

            One of the requirements was that you couldn't see one house from any
            of the others. And since funds were unlimited, the acreage could be
            vast.

            Kass