Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Fur Tails

  • Willow Polson
    Message 1 of 50 , Jul 30, 2004
      But seriously, and this may have already been covered since I have only
      half been paying attention to this thread, but I just received Sally
      Pointer's little booklet on "Making Medieval Underware" which says:

      "John off Reading also commented that with the new fashion for a slimmer
      silhouette, women's clothes 'became so tight that they wear the tails of
      foxes hanging under their skirts at the back to hide their arses.' This is
      significant from our point of view as it demonstrates the use of padding
      under female dress, in this case to preserve modesty, and the beginnings of
      the fashion which required many undergarments to achieve the correct drape
      of the overdress..."

      So I have a couple questions -- 1) is this the aforementioned
      misinterpretation of a historical document I think I caught earlier in the
      thread? 2) Is Sally Pointer a 100% reliable source for information on
      medieval clothing? (I was taking it as such because a) she's in England, b)
      she seems well researched and referenced, c) she's done a lot of
      reenactment and film work, and d) her online pictures look spot on to my
      somewhat untrained eye (only been researching medieval costume for 15 years).

      Opinions?

      - Willow (my brain hurts) MacPherson
    • Sharon L. Krossa
      Message 50 of 50 , Aug 2, 2004
        At 10:38 PM +0000 8/1/04, Aliskye wrote:
        >--- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon L. Krossa" <skrossa-
        >ml@M...> wrote:
        >
        >>I started working one of the original ren. fairs (RPFN in
        >>California) in the "middle days" (1982), and I don't recall the fur
        >>tails at the back in that era at the fair I attended (despite there
        >>still being quite a lot of overlap between SF cons, SCA, and ren.
        >>fair participants in 1982). I'm not entirely sure, but I might have
        >>started to see them showing up sometime in 1989-92, after I had
        >>been away from fair for few years, although it may not have been
        >>until 1998 that I actually saw any (after having been away again
        >>from 1993-97).
        >
        >I guess I'm more convinced that it's simple cross over than anything
        >else. A google check for a history of Furry Fandom says the first
        >Furry-only (I can't believe I'm typing any of this :) ) convention
        >was in 1989 and that Furry activity was building up in the early
        >80's.

        I'd find simple crossover more convincing if I hadn't seen people at
        a ren. fair wearing fur tails and other fur pieces in locations other
        than hanging from their belts at the back over their butts (e.g.,
        hanging from the side of their belts, hanging from the front of their
        belts, draped on a shoulder, etc.) _before_ seeing anyone at that
        ren. fair wear fur tails at the back and if I hadn't heard some of
        those people explain these fur pieces as "flea furs".

        (Although I'm not certain whether it was sometime in 89-92 that I
        first saw tails worn at the back, I do recall thinking when I did
        first start seeing them worn there that it was inevitable in the ren.
        fair context that the tails on belts would eventually migrate to the
        back -- it was too obvious a joke and ren. fair participants, rather
        like SCA participants, are not the sort to neglect an obvious joke ;-)

        >There is a household of rapier fighters in Caid that all wear fur
        >tails. Next time I see one I'll ask about it.

        Ask them specifically when they started wearing their tails, where
        they got the idea (e.g., who they saw doing it and where they saw it)
        and whether their source also wore their tails at the back (rather
        than hanging from the side or front, etc.), why they decided to copy
        it, what they thought it was when they started doing it, etc.

        Affrick
        --
        Sharon L. Krossa, skrossa-ml@...