Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Fairies & Scotland

  • Sorcha
    Message 1 of 38 , Aug 1, 2004
      --- wulfy95113 <wulfstand@...> wrote:

      > What I sincerely & devoutly hope that all the fairy
      > wing stuff is only being done by those doing
      "Midsummers Nights dream", there is a masked ball, or
      that they are 12 or under. <g> Inexcusable
      > otherwise.

      Then my dear, sweet Lord Wulfy, I must be one of those
      "inexcusables". As I collect dragons, unicorns,
      pegasus, and sometimes fairies. And yes, even dragons
      were "noted" in medieval times. Even in England and
      in the Churches.

      Here is a piece that I wrote for a tapestry that I am
      working on.......

      Mythical Creatures in Period
      By Sorcha Fhionn inghean ui/Ruairc

      Fairies, nymphs, and dragons�� oh my!

      Before there was the written word, stories were told
      verbally throughout the ages. It is speculated that
      even the caveman told stories by grunts and hand
      gestures. Even their paintings on the cave walls tell
      stories of hunting, animals, and of family members.
      But, I am not going back that far in time, so I will
      not pursue this any further.

      Some countries never had written word until late 16th,
      early 17th century. Their stories were told by
      word-of-mouth, from father to son, mother to daughter.
      Even from traveler to traveler and eventually to
      scholars and scribes.

      They told of fairies, nymphs, witches, and fierce,
      fire-breathing dragons. Even the strong and hearty
      sea-faring men of ocean bound ships told stories of
      giant, fearful sea monsters upon their return to land.

      All these creatures, being fact or fancy, imagination,
      or from stories changed throughout the ages, are still
      part of everyone's history. Even the stories we were
      raised on during our childhood were derived from
      stories and fables from centuries ago. Most, if not
      all of them, originating from before the Middle Ages.

      Tapestries are stories within themselves. Yes, most
      were made for cathedrals. And others told of wars and
      conquests. Some depicted Kings, Queens, and of royal
      events. While others told stories of the Greek Gods
      of Olympus. Fairies and wood nymphs appeared in
      tapestries. Even fair maidens sitting with unicorns.

      Towards the end of the 14th century, wild-looking,
      hirsute men engaged in hunting and struggles with
      fantastic beasts started appearing in tapestries. In
      the 15th century, especially in Basle, they dominated
      the scenes.

      Who remembers "The Story of Hercules", "The Virgin and
      the Unicorn", and "St. George Slaying the Dragon"?
      These are all famous tapestries depicting mythical
      creatures, and are now in museums in Europe. Even a
      tapestry in a church depicting "The Execution of St.
      Margaret and her Dragon" is still in one piece and on
      display.

      Even now, we hear and see mythical creatures all
      around us, from the dragons and griffins on our
      shields, to the mention of dragons and nymphs in the
      stories and poems that we hear around our campfires.

      Mythical creatures, sea-faring monsters, and grotesque
      beasts are a part of our past history. They still
      live in paintings, stories, and in tapestries.

      Long life to these fantastic, fabled beasts of yore.

      "the inexcusable" Sorcha :)

      =====
      Lady Sorcha Fhionn inghean uiRuairc, AOA ...... Kingdom of the West;
      Holda, Company of the Silver Spindle, West Kingdom Chapter;
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WKGoldenSpindle/
      http://www.angelfire.com/dragon2/dragonskeep

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • William Leo Harrington II