Re: Are you Amish?

  • Maura Folsom
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, constancefairfax@i... wrote:

      > Then, one of them finally got up the nerve to ask me something to
      the effect
      > of "Was ordnung du bis?", which I can only assume means, "What kind
      of Amish
      > person are you? :)

      I had to share this with my mother, who just loved it. We have both,
      through the years, been asked, often shyly, if we were members of this
      or that religion, or some new one that nobody had heard of. Sometimes
      just because of everyday dress (my mother is big on dressing modestly,
      arms covered, long skirts, and hats, but that's just personal
      preference, and our muslim neighbor was utterly convinced that we had
      to be muslim).

      Mom's favorite story, though involves her and my dad dressind in Very
      Flashy High Viotorian. An older black man approached them wehn they
      went out to get something to eat between sets while they were
      performing at the Dickens Fair, asking what religion they were,
      because the clothes were SO beautiful that they HAD to be a religious
      costume. He clearly was hoping that there /was/ some sort of relious
      group that dressed this way, so he could become part of it...

      M.