Re: [Authentic_SCA] Strange camping question (gross out warning)

  • Elizabeth Walpole
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31 10:29 PM
      From: "Katherine Throckmorton" <kthrockmorton@...>
      To: <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2004 1:05 AM
      Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] Strange camping question

      > you wrote:
      >

      > >I've also considered a more period chamberpot (although I don't know how
      > >get one). The concept of taking it to the john to empty it every morning
      > >doesn't particularly bother me, although it may gross out others. But
      again, I
      > >know nothing about how to clean it or anything like that.
      >
      > I would think that as long as you are only using the chamber-pot for urine
      that rinsing it out with plain water after dumping it would be sufficent.
      <snip>

      I'd agree here, as urine should have no bacteria in it whatsoever except
      what it's picked up from the air around it after it left your body. If it's
      got bacteria before it left your body then you've got a problem, therefore
      it should not be a health concern for anybody. If you think people will be
      grossed out by it take a piece of fabric to cover it over. or, as kitty
      litter is out wad up some paper towels to line the bottom I've been told by
      an ACW re-enactor who regularly uses a chamber pot when at events that this
      also muffles the sound if you're sharing a tent or another tent is right
      next door (as I'm sure you know sound is barely muffled at all by tent
      walls)
      Elizabeth
      ----
      Elizabeth Beaumont Elizabeth Walpole
      Politarchopolis, Lochac Canberra Australia
      ewalpole@...