Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Thought experiment

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 31, 2004
      Buying and use of period tools.
      As a life-long woodworker, I'd like to comment on this.
      Never forget that "your "allotted Span's TTime is your total Capital, and can never be replaced".
      So why expend more of it to do anything, than your desired "end result" may need?

      I learned my woodworking skills from a semi-retired Shipwright who managed my Father's Boatyard. He learned his skills back in the Victorian era, and the Yard - just after WW2 - had very few modern tools. Apart from a few electric hand-drills, and one Tarplaner, I don't recall any powered hand-tools in our Yard. Even the large machines were run from overhead lineshafting by leather belts. So I learned to do my woodworking "by hand" with traditional tools.
      Now, in recreating most items of medieval woodwork,anyway, - the careful use of modern power tools where-ever and whenever possible "off-site" greatly speeds up the manufacturing process; and the end result - if the Crafter is doing it right - ought to be indistinguishable from the same item produced by hand-tools in the medieval manner.
      Even carving can now be done far more quickly with powered hand-tools which are well within any D.I.Y. Crafter's budget - especially for you in the USA, where tool prices are so much lower than here in the UK.
      I already know how to do the whole process by hand, - and can demonstrate if I need to, - so I have nothing to prove to anyone; - but I'd rather make - say - 3 State Chairs using modern power tools - than one such using traditional hand-tools. Only you will know the difference. Those who view your completed projects almost certainly will not.
      This happens to apply to woodworking, and may well not apply to many other medieval crafts. However, as another example, - we have an expert in the restoration of classic vehicles here in the Island who is a real dab-hand at making plate-armour, using the same modern power tools he uses to form bodywork panels.

      Julian,
      in "olde" Jersey
    • Sharon Palmer
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 1, 2004
        >--- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Hasoferet@a... wrote:
        >> One catch:
        >> >the answer can't be clothing :-)
        >
        >Makiwara says you are a sadist. She wants a proper junihitoe made out
        >of the proper brocades.

        Just wish for the loom and the silk and the weavers and drawboys...
        and all the rest of the technology to weave your proper brocades.

        Ranvaig
      • Hasoferet@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 2, 2004
          In a message dated 8/2/2004 6:31:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          smnco37@... writes:

          > Only you will know the difference. Those who view your completed projects
          > almost certainly will not.

          I think this depends on what the point of making the chairs was. If the point
          is to get chairs, I think your point is well made. However, if the point is
          to have the medieval experience of making the chairs...

          Everyone seems to come to that with a different set of priorities.

          Raquel
        • julian wilson
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 2, 2004
            Dear Rachel,
            yes, I do agree. You have made an important point which I have not previously considered as our Companie's Master Artisan, always having a larger queue of "group-projects-to-do" than I have time in which to execute them.
            Once our fairly-new Group has enough equipment - chairs, benches, tables, chests, and beds to outfit our "encampments" [which involves furnishing 7 pavillions when everyone turns-out] - why, then I too shall hope to have the leisure to consider making some repro-medieval woodwork entirely by hand, -purely for the satisfaction of doing it that way.
            Cordially,
            Julian Wilson,
            Historian, Master Artisan, [and other things] to
            "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
            the Island of Jersey's only medieval re-enactment Group.

            Hasoferet@... wrote:
            SNIP

            I think this depends on what the point of making the chairs was. If the point is to get chairs, I think your point is well made. However, if the point is
            to have the medieval experience of making the chairs...

            Everyone seems to come to that with a different set of priorities.

            SNIP

            Raquel

          • Kareina Talvi Tytär
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 2, 2004
              At 12:05 PM 7/30/04, Kass wrote:

              >Oh, and did I mention the huge Danish Modern concrete, glass and
              >metal box house on the hill which surveys everything in which I keep
              >all the modern stuff, like electricity, phone, flush toilets, and all
              >the things I cannot live without for more than a weekend.

              Gack! I hope you have a way in mind to set up the modern house on the hill
              such that you can't actually see it from the manor houses, stone house &
              cottage--it would just be *wrong* for the view from them! ;-)

              --Kareina, who'd be happy with a simple stone tower in the mountains to
              call home...

            • Kass McGann
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 2, 2004
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Kareina Talvi Tytär
                <kareina@i...> wrote:
                > Gack! I hope you have a way in mind to set up the modern house on
                the hill
                > such that you can't actually see it from the manor houses, stone
                house &
                > cottage--it would just be *wrong* for the view from them! ;-)

                Well, of course, Kareina! I live in the rolling hills of
                Pennsylvania, and the topography would make it pretty easy to
                accomplish with the right piece of land. =)

                One of the requirements was that you couldn't see one house from any
                of the others. And since funds were unlimited, the acreage could be
                vast.

                Kass
              • Ro
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 31, 2008
                  Enough land for a turreted walled manor house and estate. Livestock and
                  fields (and the staff to work it!) to be mostly self sufficient.

                  A fully equipped still room, weavers and embroiders and spinner, a library,
                  the men at arms to protect this, a chapel and house priest.

                  Wealth to afford it, and another smaller hall down in a small valley where
                  Baronial events could take place for the immense fee of $1 and the cost of
                  any special items they wanted brought in.

                  Land enough for a heavy fighting ring, a section of a village with a
                  cobblestoned street for rapier duels, a hound coursing arena, an equestrian
                  site and a site for A&S activities and kids activities.

                  IF you're gonna have delusions, might as well go for the really satisfying
                  ones....

                  Ro, Bright Hills, Atlantia

                  http://www.livejournal.com/users/ladyrowansplace/