Re: [Authentic_SCA] Digest Number 2550

  • Sapphire And Sage - Rhonda
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2004
      Message: 14
      Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 21:45:05 +0100 (BST)
      From: julian wilson <smnco37@...>
      Subject: merchant goods question

      Well, how about filling what seems to be a couple of "detail-gaps" in what's
      available for our medieval Garb accessories?

      What about a wider selection of repro-medieval finger Rings made with
      split-ring mounts, [since everyone in the medieval era wore what rings they
      could afford - for various reasons] - so that we men who are re-enacting
      medieval rich or Noble characters can easily find examples to wear; - both
      on our larger fingers, and over gloves - as are depicted in so many of the
      contemporary portraits?

      Over the last 2 years, most of the Suppliers I've been able to find, - only
      make repro-medieval finger-rings in womens' sizes. [i.e -UK ring sizes P,
      Q, R, & S.] A case in point here in the UK is, -for example, - Past Times
      Ltd. - which often does quite nice repro-medieval ring and brooch, and
      crucifix designs. - only produce their finger rings in those smaller,
      women's sizes.

      Or, better still, a really affordable source for proper Seal Rings, as
      carried by the medieval nobility.
      I mean, have any of you tried to get a Seal Ring made for your own Noble
      characters, bearing your SCA-registered Badges? All the engravers I've
      contacted want "telkephone numbers" prices to cut seals - and then you have
      to choose a ring, have it made-up, and have the stone mounted!

      Julian Wilson,
      Master Artisan, & Historian to
      The Company of The Duke's Leopards, in the Island of "olde" Jersey
      [well, where did you think New Jersey was founded from?]
      bronwynmgn@... wrote:
      In a message dated 7/30/2004 11:50:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,