Re: [Authentic_SCA] Digest Number 2549/Was Ordnung...a little OT

  • Elizabeth A Heckert
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30 12:50 PM
      Basically--the translation is something like 'What rule do you follow?'
      with 'rule' in this case referring to ordinances for living like
      Benedict's or Francis's rules for their monastic orders (which includes
      rules for clothing). The roots of the Amish and Mennonite movements are
      in the Reformation. In south central Pennsylvania, where I am originally
      from, you have Lutheran southern German dialect speaking communities
      (like the one my grandmother and dad grew up in) Mennonite and Amish
      denominations.

      My dad's family's roots are Lutheran (ie other an extra language and
      food, not too different from the mainstream) and I had a friend in grade
      school who dressed exactly as I did, except that she always wore slacks
      that looked very feminine, and (once she was a church member) a little
      net cap--she was a 'modern' Mennonite. Then you had 'old order' and
      black bumper Mennonites, as well as various Amish denominations.

      Just as the multiplicity of denominations sprung up all over northern
      Europe during the Reformation and counter-Reformation, the inheritors of
      the Protestant movement brought the impetus to divide when they came to
      the New World in search of religious freedom for their various
      individual groups.

      Elizabeth

      Message: 25
      Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:01:20 -0500
      From: constancefairfax@...
      Subject: Re: Are you Amish?

      > Then, one of them finally got up the nerve to ask me something to
      > the effect
      > of "Was ordnung du bis?", which I can only assume means, "What kind
      > of Amish
      > person are you? :)
      >
      > Constance

      "Do not muzzle the ox while it is treading out the grain."
      Deut. 25:4

      Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!