Re: Are you Amish?

  • constancefairfax@itasca.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30 12:01 PM
      I thought I'd heard them all...

      Then, I was in Indiana at an event - and our pals decided to skip feast & go
      out. My daughter and I didn't have mundanes with us, but everyone else did.
      So, we pull up to this country buffet place and go inside - and half of the
      customers are Amish. Heheh. Here I am wearing a dark gray dress with a black
      partlet and white starched coif with apron. No buttons, only pins and
      rings... :) No jewelry, hair pulled back and under the coif...

      Then, one of them finally got up the nerve to ask me something to the effect
      of "Was ordnung du bis?", which I can only assume means, "What kind of Amish
      person are you? :)

      Constance

    • Maura Folsom
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, constancefairfax@i... wrote:

        > Then, one of them finally got up the nerve to ask me something to
        the effect
        > of "Was ordnung du bis?", which I can only assume means, "What kind
        of Amish
        > person are you? :)

        I had to share this with my mother, who just loved it. We have both,
        through the years, been asked, often shyly, if we were members of this
        or that religion, or some new one that nobody had heard of. Sometimes
        just because of everyday dress (my mother is big on dressing modestly,
        arms covered, long skirts, and hats, but that's just personal
        preference, and our muslim neighbor was utterly convinced that we had
        to be muslim).

        Mom's favorite story, though involves her and my dad dressind in Very
        Flashy High Viotorian. An older black man approached them wehn they
        went out to get something to eat between sets while they were
        performing at the Dickens Fair, asking what religion they were,
        because the clothes were SO beautiful that they HAD to be a religious
        costume. He clearly was hoping that there /was/ some sort of relious
        group that dressed this way, so he could become part of it...

        M.