Re: [Authentic_SCA] Peasant Chic

  • govega@optonline.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2004
      Raquel wrote:

      <The European nineteenth century has issues, though, about nationalism and
      <culture and modernism, that don't exactly correspond to earlier times. This, I
      <think, is one of those 'if the evidence is there, they did, if not, probably
      <not' kinds of questions.

      Yes, that's why I prefaced it with, this is not period to the SCA but--- the question was orginally was it ever know to exist. So this was the convenient instance I could think of.

      But you are absolutely correct, the wearing of the folk clothing at the time was done for many reasons that a pre-17th century court may not have available. Also, there were other factors that made mass producing folk clothing in the 1860's much easier than doing it earlier. Firstly, the sewing machine. Secondly, the availability of cotton. None of this would have been available pre-19th century. Whether the folk clothing was accurate to an earlier time --- perhaps. All I know is that currently, dirndl's are still widely worn in Austria, and this garment has not changed much since the 1800's :)

      Penny