Re: linen for the clueless?

  • aheilvei
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2004
      I was told at the fabric store to soak it in a cup of vinegar
      overnight to keep the color. Is that 1 cup of vinegar and add water?
      I know, I'm clueless. She said to do it before prewash. I also was
      going to pass along a helpful hint I picked up on a list the other
      day.

      A cup of white vinegar to a tub of lukewarm water should do it if
      you're talking normal yardage for a dress. If you're talking 20
      yards at a time, I'd probably use more vinegar.

      Salt is another good and inexpensive way to fix the color in your
      linen if you fear that it'll bleed. Mix up salty (to taste)
      lukewarm water and put your linen in it (agetating it a bit so that
      the water hits it all) and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. This
      should set the color. Then wash it.

      If you're looking at a fabric in the store and you're not sure if
      it'll bleed or not, use a bit of white fabric (handkerchief,
      shirttail, etc.) to find out. Dampen your white fabric and then rub
      it on the fabric you're curious about - if the white picks up color,
      the new fabric probably need to be set more before you cut it out
      and wear it.

      Despina