Re: traveling in garb, and being "mean"

  • Marybeth Lavrakas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30 6:42 AM
      I got SO tired of hearing "Are you in a play" that I
      avoid wearing garb to restaurants, although I'll go
      into gas stations, rest stops, etc, in garb. Some of
      the people in my barony, also annoyed by the play
      question, took to saying yes, they were in a
      play--Death of A Salesman. To my knowledge, the people
      who got that answer never laughed, so I guess it wasnt
      such a good joke.

      The worst part about giving actual feedback (yes,
      which can be critical) is the way what gets said gets
      changed as the story gets repeated by the 'victim'--
      like when you play the telephone game. I've seen
      comments I've made taken out of context and passed
      into legend; comments made by one person years ago
      later attributed to another; etc, etc. Once, long ago
      when I was teaching history at a big state university,
      I actually made a freshman cry by pointing out, after
      a long conversation where she just Didn't Get It, that
      not everything was true just because it was written in
      a book. Luckily she was sitting put at that moment, so
      I was able to tell her that if she wanted she could
      bring in the offending volume, and I could give her
      specific strategies for evaluating resources, after
      which we would throw the said book on the floor and
      dance ontop of it.

      =====
      Lady Kateryn Rous, CP
      House Broussard