Cote-fu?

  • Kathrine M. O'Neal
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2004
      So, I've read La Cotte Simple, and I've absorbed some of the Netherton
      theory (although not attended the class... *sigh*) of construction for the
      "Gothic Fitted Dress", and I would like to go about constructing one of
      these beauties.

      I'm between 5'7" and 5'8", and my bust-waist-hip is 36-24-37. About how
      much fabric should I need, and can I get away with using linen for both my
      lining and exterior layers? (I would be going for wool, but I'm
      magnificently poor and already have a stockpile of linen) And does anyone
      have suggestions for how to enlist a fitting assistant, since I can't really
      do it myself, and my mother only loves me so much.

      Kitty/Katherine

      who wants to do a straight front seam, because she's crazy like that
    • aheilvei
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 30, 2004

        Kitty,

        I would think 4 or 4.5 yards would do it for you and yes, you could
        use linen for both outer and lining for one of these dresses.

        Suggestions for a fitting assistant, well, the best way is find
        someone you like and do the ole "I'll fit you if you fit me"
        routine. Most people are more willing to help if they get one out of
        the deal as well. ;) It is highly recommended that you do the
        fitting from muslin rather than with your final fabric.

        Smiles,
        Despina