leech collecting (was Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: medicinal stuff)

  • Elizabeth Walpole
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2004
      From: "Christopher Bogs" <cbogs@...>
      To: <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 12:01 AM
      Subject: RE: [Authentic_SCA] Re: medicinal stuff

      > Leeches were always my favorite thing to receive, when I worked on the
      > shipping/receiving dock at a medical center. These days they come in
      > sterile pouches, packed in lots of styrofoam. A far cry from going down
      > your local pond!
      >
      > Yrs.,
      > Christoph

      I remember looking at a costuming book on the outfits for various
      occupations in the 18th century, one of the occupations was leech collector.
      the process essentially involved hitching up your skirts and wading into a
      pond (or other leech filled body of water) the leeches attached themselves
      to your bare legs and then you sit down on the bank pick them off, put them
      in jars and sell them to the doctor. Somehow I think they use a different
      method today, but I'd be willing to bet that was how leeches were collected
      in period.
      Elizabeth

      ----
      Elizabeth Beaumont Elizabeth Walpole
      Politarchopolis, Lochac Canberra Australia
      ewalpole@...

      People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun
      is out, but when the darkness sets in ,their true beauty is revealed only if
      there is light from within.
      Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

      The years that a woman subtracts from her age are not lost. They are added
      to the ages of other women.
      Diane de Poitiers (1499-1566) Attrib.