Re: [Authentic_SCA] medieval window screens

  • Elizabeth Walpole
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 6, 2004
      From: "Talia" <talia@...>
      To: <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, July 05, 2004 3:45 AM
      Subject: RE: [Authentic_SCA] medieval window screens

      > > Interesting question. I truly doubt that there was anything to be put
      over
      > > the windows except shutters (they can be closed with the glass open and
      > > provide air flow), when they were open When I was in Germany in
      > <<much snippage>>
      > > Regina
      > > sitting with the blinds drawn having just re-screened the front door!)
      >

      > Actually, there was. Oiled/greased cloth was used, as well as
      > scraped-paper-thin rawhide stretched over the window frames. The rawhide
      > wouldn't have allowed much in the way of air circulation, but both the
      cloth
      > and the hide would have let plenty of light in while keeping insects out.
      >
      > Talia

      But to my knowledge oilcloth etc. was used as substitutes for glass not as
      screening to go over the glass windows. In England (and most of Europe to my
      knowledge) today fly screens are very uncommon as there is very little
      problem with bugs flying in.
      Elizabeth
      ----
      Elizabeth Beaumont Elizabeth Walpole
      Politarchopolis, Lochac Canberra Australia
      ewalpole@...

      People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun
      is out, but when the darkness sets in ,their true beauty is revealed only if
      there is light from within.
      Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

      The years that a woman subtracts from her age are not lost. They are added
      to the ages of other women.
      Diane de Poitiers (1499-1566) Attrib.