Re: [Authentic_SCA] RE: medieval window screens

  • Dianne & Greg Stucki
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 5, 2004
      > (I can also testify from personal experience that biting insects are
      > much less of a problem in California than in the Eastern U.S. -- I
      > wouldn't dream of trying to sleep outdoors without a mosquito net in
      > a Maine summer, but I've never bothered with one out here.)

      Which would explain why every TV show and movie I've ever seen (check out
      that hyperbole!) has shown windows with no screens, and yet, living in
      Michigan and now PA, I've never HAD a window that didn't have screening!

      Laurensa
    • Cynthia J Ley
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 5, 2004
        Western Oregon has tons of mosquitos in the summer, as well as gnats and
        no-see-ums. A lot of the area is a wetland--there's a reason they call my
        part of An Tir "Rivers." ;) Screens are a necessity.

        Arlys

        Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • bronwynmgn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 5, 2004
          In a message dated 7/4/2004 12:34:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

          <<Was window screening ever used? It wouldn't be that far a reach to put a
          gauze or loose weave linen over a window if you could afford the fabric.>>

          Yeah, but I don't know how well it would hold up. I have heard of using
          oiled...something - was it paper or parchment or fabric - that would let in light,
          but it would probably block most of the breezes as well as bugs.

          Of course, then, there is also the possibility that the preoccupation with
          the odd bug flying through the house being a bad thing is entirely modern...I
          know that things like Le Menagier de Paris do contain instructions for how to
          deal with certain bugs, but it usually seems to be bedbugs or fleas...

          Brangwayna
        • Willow Polson
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 5, 2004
            At 06:08 AM 7/5/2004 -0400, you wrote:
            >Which would explain why every TV show and movie I've ever seen (check out
            >that hyperbole!) has shown windows with no screens, and yet, living in
            >Michigan and now PA, I've never HAD a window that didn't have screening!

            As a lifelong CA resident, every CA house I've ever lived in has had
            windowscreens (except that lovely Victorian, but then we just got the
            framed kind you place in an open window. I suspect that the reason the TV
            shows and movies don't usually have window screens is because you can't
            film through them, just like the absence of rear view mirrors in movie
            cars. TV and movies aren't real.

            - Willow (Hollywood is just a bunch of regular people, trust me) MacPherson

            Rev. Willow Polson www.willowsplace.com
            Give my Pagan Paradise Live365 Radio Station a listen!
            http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=willowpolson
          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 5, 2004
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Chris Laning <claning@i...>
              wrote:
              > Remedies like flypaper and keeping food covered do help
              > with those.

              I just came home from an event site that was rife with ants. After
              watching a procession around my groundcloth, I left an empty but
              unrinsed beverage bottle lying on its side in a corner OFF the
              ground cloth. It amused the ants and kept them from dancing bransles
              on everything else inside the tent.

              Jehanne de Wodeford
            • Dianne & Greg Stucki
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 6, 2004
                From: "Willow Polson" <willow@...>
                > As a lifelong CA resident, every CA house I've ever lived in has had
                > windowscreens (except that lovely Victorian, but then we just got the
                > framed kind you place in an open window. I suspect that the reason the TV
                > shows and movies don't usually have window screens is because you can't
                > film through them, just like the absence of rear view mirrors in movie
                > cars. TV and movies aren't real.

                They're not? Oh, darn. ;-)

                What I meant was (besides the fact that you can't have a character climbing
                in or out of a screened window, at least not easily) was that people tend to
                think of things in the way that is most common to them. To someone who
                doesn't normally use screens, they wouldn't think to put them in. To me, the
                absence of them is jarring/

                > - Willow (Hollywood is just a bunch of regular people, trust me)
                MacPherson

                My oldest and dearest friend who introduced me to the SCA is an aspiring
                screenwriter. If he is at all typical, trust me, they ain't regular people!!
                lol

                Laurensa
              • Willow Polson
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 6, 2004
                  At 06:30 AM 7/6/2004 -0400, you wrote:
                  >TV and movies aren't real.
                  >
                  >They're not? Oh, darn. ;-)

                  LOL

                  >My oldest and dearest friend who introduced me to the SCA is an aspiring
                  >screenwriter. If he is at all typical, trust me, they ain't regular people!!
                  >lol

                  Picky picky picky! heehee.... you know what I mean. 8-)

                  - Willow (love playing D&D with a film teacher and 2nd AD, he's nutty)
                  MacPherson

                  Rev. Willow Polson www.willowsplace.com
                  Give my Pagan Paradise Live365 Radio Station a listen!
                  http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=willowpolson
                • Elizabeth Walpole
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 6, 2004