RE: medieval window screens

  • Chris Laning
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 4, 2004
      At 11:21 AM -0700 7/4/04, Wanda Pease wrote:
      >I suspect these were winter solutions to the no glass/no light problems
      >since both the German farm house and the English cottage got very warm
      >during the summer and you wanted all the air flow you could get!. However,
      >you have a very good point that solutions did exist!

      Two other factors to consider: human tolerance, and difference in hemispheres.

      Friends of mine have remarked, after visiting England in particular,
      that you don't _need_ window screens over there as much as in the
      U.S. because there are not the constant swarms of biting insects --
      mosquitos, gnats, blackflies, et cetera.The main insect invaders in
      houses, therefore, tend to be house flies and wasps, which are bigger
      and fewer. Remedies like flypaper and keeping food covered do help
      with those.

      (I can also testify from personal experience that biting insects are
      much less of a problem in California than in the Eastern U.S. -- I
      wouldn't dream of trying to sleep outdoors without a mosquito net in
      a Maine summer, but I've never bothered with one out here.)

      Also, when easy remedies for uncomfortable or annoying conditions
      hadn't been invented yet, people may have been more willing to put up
      with them. My mother always hated to be "drafted" as a teenager to
      help her grandmothers with the fruit canning, because there they were
      in the height of summer, voluntarily spending the day in an even
      hotter, and very steamy, kitchen. She says everyone just assumed that
      hot and sticky was how one felt in the summer, and got on with the
      job.
      O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe
      | Chris Laning <claning@...>
      + Shire of Windy Meads - Davis, California
    • Dianne & Greg Stucki
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 5, 2004
        > (I can also testify from personal experience that biting insects are
        > much less of a problem in California than in the Eastern U.S. -- I
        > wouldn't dream of trying to sleep outdoors without a mosquito net in
        > a Maine summer, but I've never bothered with one out here.)

        Which would explain why every TV show and movie I've ever seen (check out
        that hyperbole!) has shown windows with no screens, and yet, living in
        Michigan and now PA, I've never HAD a window that didn't have screening!

        Laurensa
      • Cynthia J Ley
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 5, 2004
          Western Oregon has tons of mosquitos in the summer, as well as gnats and
          no-see-ums. A lot of the area is a wetland--there's a reason they call my
          part of An Tir "Rivers." ;) Screens are a necessity.

          Arlys

          Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        • bronwynmgn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 5, 2004
            In a message dated 7/4/2004 12:34:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

            <<Was window screening ever used? It wouldn't be that far a reach to put a
            gauze or loose weave linen over a window if you could afford the fabric.>>

            Yeah, but I don't know how well it would hold up. I have heard of using
            oiled...something - was it paper or parchment or fabric - that would let in light,
            but it would probably block most of the breezes as well as bugs.

            Of course, then, there is also the possibility that the preoccupation with
            the odd bug flying through the house being a bad thing is entirely modern...I
            know that things like Le Menagier de Paris do contain instructions for how to
            deal with certain bugs, but it usually seems to be bedbugs or fleas...

            Brangwayna
          • Willow Polson
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 5, 2004
              At 06:08 AM 7/5/2004 -0400, you wrote:
              >Which would explain why every TV show and movie I've ever seen (check out
              >that hyperbole!) has shown windows with no screens, and yet, living in
              >Michigan and now PA, I've never HAD a window that didn't have screening!

              As a lifelong CA resident, every CA house I've ever lived in has had
              windowscreens (except that lovely Victorian, but then we just got the
              framed kind you place in an open window. I suspect that the reason the TV
              shows and movies don't usually have window screens is because you can't
              film through them, just like the absence of rear view mirrors in movie
              cars. TV and movies aren't real.

              - Willow (Hollywood is just a bunch of regular people, trust me) MacPherson

              Rev. Willow Polson www.willowsplace.com
              Give my Pagan Paradise Live365 Radio Station a listen!
              http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=willowpolson
            • wodeford
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 5, 2004
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Chris Laning <claning@i...>
                wrote:
                > Remedies like flypaper and keeping food covered do help
                > with those.

                I just came home from an event site that was rife with ants. After
                watching a procession around my groundcloth, I left an empty but
                unrinsed beverage bottle lying on its side in a corner OFF the
                ground cloth. It amused the ants and kept them from dancing bransles
                on everything else inside the tent.

                Jehanne de Wodeford
              • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 6, 2004
                  From: "Willow Polson" <willow@...>
                  > As a lifelong CA resident, every CA house I've ever lived in has had
                  > windowscreens (except that lovely Victorian, but then we just got the
                  > framed kind you place in an open window. I suspect that the reason the TV
                  > shows and movies don't usually have window screens is because you can't
                  > film through them, just like the absence of rear view mirrors in movie
                  > cars. TV and movies aren't real.

                  They're not? Oh, darn. ;-)

                  What I meant was (besides the fact that you can't have a character climbing
                  in or out of a screened window, at least not easily) was that people tend to
                  think of things in the way that is most common to them. To someone who
                  doesn't normally use screens, they wouldn't think to put them in. To me, the
                  absence of them is jarring/

                  > - Willow (Hollywood is just a bunch of regular people, trust me)
                  MacPherson

                  My oldest and dearest friend who introduced me to the SCA is an aspiring
                  screenwriter. If he is at all typical, trust me, they ain't regular people!!
                  lol

                  Laurensa
                • Willow Polson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 6, 2004
                    At 06:30 AM 7/6/2004 -0400, you wrote:
                    >TV and movies aren't real.
                    >
                    >They're not? Oh, darn. ;-)

                    LOL

                    >My oldest and dearest friend who introduced me to the SCA is an aspiring
                    >screenwriter. If he is at all typical, trust me, they ain't regular people!!
                    >lol

                    Picky picky picky! heehee.... you know what I mean. 8-)

                    - Willow (love playing D&D with a film teacher and 2nd AD, he's nutty)
                    MacPherson

                    Rev. Willow Polson www.willowsplace.com
                    Give my Pagan Paradise Live365 Radio Station a listen!
                    http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=willowpolson
                  • Elizabeth Walpole
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 6, 2004