Re: sumptuary laws

  • Wendy
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 4, 2004
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Deroch <alsnchap@t...> wrote:
      > Could someone tell me if there are, indeed, sumptuary laws in the
      > East Kingdom aside from the matter who can wear crowns? If so,
      > where might I find them?

      We don't have any that go beyond the Society-wide restrictions.

      "The East Kingdom does not have any sumptuary laws, or laws governing
      what regalia or garments may be worn by various members of the
      populace, beyond those found in the Society's governing documents.
      Regalia that is reserved across the Known World, such as Ducal
      coronets, or knights' belts, is still reserved in the East, but the
      Kingdom does not have any rules of its own. The badges of the
      various orders should only be worn by the members thereof,
      obviously." - Mistress Caitlin Davies, East Kingdom Order of
      Precedence FAQ

      We do have some degree of the belt-color tradition that seems to be
      creeping in all over the place, but most of the time people are
      capable of being reasonable about it -- unless the belt color in
      question is red or white, either one of which is almost guaranteed to
      get you snarky questions.

      -Sabine