Re: [Authentic_SCA] sumptuary laws

  • Greg Lindahl
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2004
      > Could someone tell me if there are, indeed, sumptuary laws in the
      > East Kingdom aside from the matter who can wear crowns? If so,
      > where might I find them?

      This is an *excellent* example of a query that would be better posed
      on a mailing list such as the East Kingdom list, or by perusing the
      East Kingdom mailing website (where you will probably find a copy of
      Kingdom law), instead of asking a Society-wide mailing list dedicated
      to the topic of Authenticity...

      -- Gregory
    • Wendy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 4, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Deroch <alsnchap@t...> wrote:
        > Could someone tell me if there are, indeed, sumptuary laws in the
        > East Kingdom aside from the matter who can wear crowns? If so,
        > where might I find them?

        We don't have any that go beyond the Society-wide restrictions.

        "The East Kingdom does not have any sumptuary laws, or laws governing
        what regalia or garments may be worn by various members of the
        populace, beyond those found in the Society's governing documents.
        Regalia that is reserved across the Known World, such as Ducal
        coronets, or knights' belts, is still reserved in the East, but the
        Kingdom does not have any rules of its own. The badges of the
        various orders should only be worn by the members thereof,
        obviously." - Mistress Caitlin Davies, East Kingdom Order of
        Precedence FAQ

        We do have some degree of the belt-color tradition that seems to be
        creeping in all over the place, but most of the time people are
        capable of being reasonable about it -- unless the belt color in
        question is red or white, either one of which is almost guaranteed to
        get you snarky questions.

        -Sabine