sumptuary laws

  • azilisarmor
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2004
      Could someone tell me if there are, indeed, sumptuary laws in the
      East Kingdom aside from the matter who can wear crowns? If so,
      where might I find them?
      Thanks
      Deroch
    • Greg Lindahl
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2004
        > Could someone tell me if there are, indeed, sumptuary laws in the
        > East Kingdom aside from the matter who can wear crowns? If so,
        > where might I find them?

        This is an *excellent* example of a query that would be better posed
        on a mailing list such as the East Kingdom list, or by perusing the
        East Kingdom mailing website (where you will probably find a copy of
        Kingdom law), instead of asking a Society-wide mailing list dedicated
        to the topic of Authenticity...

        -- Gregory
      • Wendy
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 4, 2004
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Deroch <alsnchap@t...> wrote:
          > Could someone tell me if there are, indeed, sumptuary laws in the
          > East Kingdom aside from the matter who can wear crowns? If so,
          > where might I find them?

          We don't have any that go beyond the Society-wide restrictions.

          "The East Kingdom does not have any sumptuary laws, or laws governing
          what regalia or garments may be worn by various members of the
          populace, beyond those found in the Society's governing documents.
          Regalia that is reserved across the Known World, such as Ducal
          coronets, or knights' belts, is still reserved in the East, but the
          Kingdom does not have any rules of its own. The badges of the
          various orders should only be worn by the members thereof,
          obviously." - Mistress Caitlin Davies, East Kingdom Order of
          Precedence FAQ

          We do have some degree of the belt-color tradition that seems to be
          creeping in all over the place, but most of the time people are
          capable of being reasonable about it -- unless the belt color in
          question is red or white, either one of which is almost guaranteed to
          get you snarky questions.

          -Sabine