RE: [Authentic_SCA] medicinal stuff

  • Madonna Apollonia Margherita degli Albiz
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
      My mother used to work in the Virginia VA (Veteran's) Hospital. They had a
      homeless vet who needed a cast from the knee down. He was told to come back
      in 6-8 weeks to have the cast taken off. He came back a year later, cast
      still on, to get it taken off as it was itching. The only reason he was not
      dead from the huge gangrene infection was because the maggots had eaten the
      rotting flesh...

      Apollonia
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
        > He came back a year later, cast
        > still on, to get it taken off as it was itching.

        Okay, for those of us with vivid visual imaginations, could we please
        get "gross-out" alerts? I really didn't need to read that!

        Isabeau
      • Madonna Apollonia Margherita degli Albiz
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
          Sorry about that. I have heard this story and others, many times in my
          life, at the dinner table. My parents are in the medical profession, and
          I've gotten kind of immune to this stuff...

          Apollonia
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 4, 2004
            Hello:
            Leeches are also occasionally used today as well - and were so
            commonly used in the MA that in some places the "leech" was the name
            for the doctor.
            Rebecca
          • Christopher Bogs
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 6, 2004
              Leeches were always my favorite thing to receive, when I worked on the
              shipping/receiving dock at a medical center. These days they come in
              sterile pouches, packed in lots of styrofoam. A far cry from going down to
              your local pond!

              Yrs.,
              Christoph