Re: [Authentic_SCA] medicinal stuff

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
      My wife, an RN of over 40 years experience, is following this thread with great interest, and tells me that maggots [which no-one has mentioned so far - or if they have we've missed the mention] - are still occasionally used for debriding necrotic tissue from wounds and sores. And this is in the "developed World", too!

      In Service,
      Matthieu Besquer,
      Re-enactor, Master Artisan, & Historian to
      "The Company of The Dukes Leopards",
      in "olde" Jersey, 15 miles off the Breton coast.
      [well, where did you think NEW Jersey was founded from?]

      MODERATOR NOTE: PLEASE SNIP PREVIOUS POSTS
    • Madonna Apollonia Margherita degli Albiz
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
        My mother used to work in the Virginia VA (Veteran's) Hospital. They had a
        homeless vet who needed a cast from the knee down. He was told to come back
        in 6-8 weeks to have the cast taken off. He came back a year later, cast
        still on, to get it taken off as it was itching. The only reason he was not
        dead from the huge gangrene infection was because the maggots had eaten the
        rotting flesh...

        Apollonia

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
          > He came back a year later, cast
          > still on, to get it taken off as it was itching.

          Okay, for those of us with vivid visual imaginations, could we please
          get "gross-out" alerts? I really didn't need to read that!

          Isabeau
        • Madonna Apollonia Margherita degli Albiz
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
            Sorry about that. I have heard this story and others, many times in my
            life, at the dinner table. My parents are in the medical profession, and
            I've gotten kind of immune to this stuff...

            Apollonia
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 4, 2004
              Hello:
              Leeches are also occasionally used today as well - and were so
              commonly used in the MA that in some places the "leech" was the name
              for the doctor.
              Rebecca
            • Christopher Bogs
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 6, 2004
                Leeches were always my favorite thing to receive, when I worked on the
                shipping/receiving dock at a medical center. These days they come in
                sterile pouches, packed in lots of styrofoam. A far cry from going down to
                your local pond!

                Yrs.,
                Christoph