Re: Butter, was Medical treatments (vita D)

  • Tiffany Brown / Lady Teffania Tukerton
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 30, 2004
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia J Ley <cley@j...> wrote:
      > US butters will sometimes have color additives.

      So do some australian butters, but thankfully not many.

      You can get a difference in colour and taste of the butter within the
      variety of brands available in austalia. Some have "stong" tastes,
      others especially "danish style" are much milder. I suspect there are
      minor variations in the way butter can be processed and also in the
      fat content of the butter (our butter gets more yellow as it tends
      toward rancid).

      We have a few butters that are specially designed to be soft at the
      temperature of the fridge, which may be the norm in america. I think
      traditional (ie 1900) english behavour was to leave some butter out on
      the bench, but that really doesn't work on 30C days. (hence slightly
      warmer butter compartments in refrigerators)

      Besides that, pasture types can definately change dairy products - we
      can taste when the capeweed is in bloom, even in fairly processed
      butters and milks.

      By the way Kareina - investigate copha (clear almost tasteless
      shortening from coconut oil)- I hear it's something you can't get
      outside australia (no chocolate crackles :-( ). Not period, but fun.

      So anyone an expert on medieval butter?

      Teffania
      (krae glas, lochac/Melbourne Austalia)

      Who is horrified to think there are dairy cows out there who don't
      have a nice big paddock to graze around in. I thought the sad
      american grain fed beef phenomenon was only for meat cows.
    • Hasoferet@aol.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 1, 2004
        In a message dated 6/30/04 11:46:26 PM, tbro3@... writes:

        << I think

        traditional (ie 1900) english behavour was to leave some butter out on

        the bench, but that really doesn't work on 30C days. (hence slightly

        warmer butter compartments in refrigerators) >>

        They still do in England, but I was born in Los Angeles, and assume that
        anything left on the counter will start rotting in a minute...

        Raquel

        Do not beg. Do not refuse. Preserve. Bestow.

        --Colman mac Beognae, 'The Alphabet of Devotion