Repetititve stress injuries (oop)

  • ACatelli@manafortbrothers.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2004
      > After all, laborers worked from sun up to sun down in the Medieval period,
      doing
      > repetitive tasks, and carpal tunnel syndrome is a new phenomenon as are
      other ills.
      > Weavers, especially, do repetitive work (throwing the shuttle for hours on
      end) and
      > we hear about Weaver's Bottom but not any other ailments.
      >
      > Nancy M McKenna

      Skeletons of weavers from the 18th century show some injuries directly
      related to their weaving, although this may be after the flying shuttle &
      its mechanism came into wide use & may not be related to throwing by hand,
      but to pulling the throwing mechanism (it was attached to a string).

      this is all by my fluffy little memory & may well contain incorrect or
      inaccurate information.

      Ann in CT
      Sufferer from carpal tunnel syndrome
      (i've been diagnosed)
      caused by Knitting by hand
    • Sharon N.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, ACatelli@m... wrote:
        > > After all, laborers worked from sun up to sun down in the
        Medieval period,
        > doing
        > > repetitive tasks, and carpal tunnel syndrome is a new phenomenon
        as are
        > other ills.
        > > Weavers, especially, do repetitive work (throwing the shuttle
        for hours on
        > end) and
        > > we hear about Weaver's Bottom but not any other ailments.
        > >
        > > Nancy M McKenna

        And then there's "Washerwoman's Wrist", or DeQuervain's stenosing
        tenosynovitis. I have a feeling this one was around in period,
        too! Unfortunately, it's also around today, as well.

        http://www.alexhosp.com.sg/Patient_Education/deQuervain_Syndrome.htm

        Sibley
      • Madonna Apollonia Margherita degli Albiz
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
          My then 4 year old son had to have both thumbs operated on due to this...
          He could not move the last joint on either thumb, it was just stuck. And I
          never made him do the laundry, either!

          Apollonia
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
            My mother developed "Gamekeeper's Thumb" 22 years ago. Gamekeeper's thumb
            was most commonly associated with Scottish gamekeepers, especially rabbit
            keepers, in whom it was a work-related injury. The injury occurred as the
            gamekeepers sacrificed the rabbits by breaking their necks between the
            ground and their thumbs and index fingers. The thumb would be injured as a
            result of the valgus force on an abducted metacarpophalangeal (MCP) joint.
            The ulnar collateral injury would result in instability accompanied by pain
            and weakness of the pinch grasp.

            My mother, to the best of my knowledge, never broke anyone's or anything's
            neck.

            Mary Taran