New to list

  • ms4tune@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2004
      In a message dated 6/29/2004 10:27:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      Authentic_SCA-owner@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > <<This is a group for those who wish that the SCA were more period correct,
      > therefore, a lot of hopes are voiced here.>>
      >
      > Hi - I just joined the list. I'm a reenactor and costume historian /
      > collector (Costume Society of America member) who mostly focuses on later periods --
      > primarily mid 19th century / Civil War but also earlier and later 19th
      > century. The renaissance and medieval eras have always fascinated me but the Renn
      > Faire scene, while it looks like collossal fun, has always put me off a bit
      > because so many of the participants seem to be more focused on fantasy than on
      > historical re-creation
      .

      I was delighted to find a YahooGroup of authenticity-focused SCA people and
      am looking forward to learning a LOT! The documentation is so much more
      difficult the further one goes back. For 1840s and onward, we've got actual
      photography to reference. For the 18th century onward, we've got fashion plates, and
      there are ample surviving original garments for these periods.  Go much further
      back and paintings, engravings / woodblocks, and narrative accounts are pretty
      much all you've got to go by, I imagine, so it must be a real challenge to
      get it right.

      Looking forward to learning more through the collected expertise of other
      list members, and eventually making a contribution myself!

      --Kathryn Coombs
      Alexandria VA